11 Simple Soulful Tips for Seniors
There are many simple things you can do in life that will help lift your spirit and brighten your day. As seniors move into their golden years, even the smallest positive action can help reignite the spark for life.
With all of the wisdom from their vast experience, seniors can easily bring light and energy into their lives every day with the following simple soulful tips:
- Simply breathe. Breath is synonymous with Spirit. Take some deep breaths throughout the day to expand your lungs, open your heart and stay grounded.
- Keep good company. Energy is contagious, so make friends with people who are positive, supportive, and engaging to elevate your mood.
- Share your amazing stories with the youngsters. Grandchildren and other young people love to learn about history, hear your wisdom and laugh at the shenanigans from your youth!
- De-clutter your space. Clutter is just a postponed decision and eats up your energy. When you donate, you feel great. As Deepak Chopra says, “Whatever you give, comes back ten-fold.”
- Open some windows. Bring in some fresh air, this will flush out the old energy and enliven your space, spirit, and attitude.
- Buy or pick some flowers. Place fresh flowers in your home to feel joy every time you walk in the room.
- Practice self-healing through energy work or Reiki. Reiki practitioner and teacher, Karen Cay, defines Reiki as “an amazing healing system and the Source is Universal energy. It is the most natural way to heal another’s pain, stresses and blocks and struggles.”
- Spend time in nature. Hug a tree, walk barefoot on the ground to connect to the Earth, bask in the sunshine, watch all the beautiful birds, and funny squirrels to synch up with nature. “Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet.” -Thich Nhat Hanh
- Get a pet. Spending time with animals or a special pet will touch your heart and bring forth feelings of happiness and compassion.
- Eat a healthy diet. Consume healthy organic foods, drink lots of water, and try to drink less caffeine. Your physical body will thank you and this will bring balance and harmony with your body and soul.
- Practice gratitude. Being thankful and having gratitude for everything in your life can make a difference. If you run through a list every morning, this will set a positive tone for the day, every day.
- Karen Cay is a Spiritual Counselor at Here Comes Your Sun specializing in trauma and grief healing. She is also a writer, podcaster, and energetic practitioner who teaches courses in various metaphysical sciences and healing modalities. As a former respiratory therapist, she worked with many seniors suffering with various breathing issues such as emphysema and COPD.