6 Great Exercise Classes For Seniors
It is important to stay healthy and active, no matter how old you may be. However, as most seniors know, the older we get, the more difficult it can be to stay active. The good news is, there are plenty of group exercise classes out there that are great for seniors and that can help keep older adults active as they age.
One of the best things about group exercise classes is that they are proven to help people stay more motivated and to work harder as they exercise in these group settings. With this in mind, any senior who is considering ramping up their daily exercise program should consider these popular exercise classes for seniors as they can make all of the difference in your health and overall quality of life.
- Yoga- Yoga has been around for hundreds of years and is a popular, low-impact form of exercise that is all about stretching, breathing and finding peace of mind when you exercise. Give a beginner’s yoga class a try and it may just change your mind, body and soul for the better.
- Walking Club- Walking clubs are a great way to get out, get active and to make some friends while you’re at it. Walking clubs can meet inside during the colder (or extremely hot) months and walk in gyms or malls and meet outdoors when the weather is nice for some much-needed fresh air.
- Barre- Barre is one of the most popular exercise classes out there today. It is relatively low-intensity and low impact. It is based off of ballet practices and is great for those who want to build their core and tone their muscles without lifting heavy weight or doing lots of cardio.
- Pilates- Much like yoga or barre, Pilates is a low-impact form of exercise that doesn’t require a great deal of running, jumping, cardio or weight lifting. You can find Pilates classes for virtually any age or ability level.
- Water Aerobics- It may sound like a stereotypical “senior” exercise class, but there is a reason that this type of exercise is so popular for older adults. Water aerobics is fun and it is a great way to get your body moving and your cardiovascular system up and running. Plus, you can get all of these cardiovascular benefits without putting extra stress on the joints, as exercising under water can really take the pressure off of sore joints.
- Zumba- Zumba is a super-fun exercise class for seniors who love to get up and dance. It is a dancing-inspired cardiovascular class that lets everyone move to the beat at their own pace. It can help you have fun while you work out so you can really make the most out of your exercise experience.
There is no better time than the present to start making positive changes in your life. An easy way to do this is to join an exercise class today. Give these senior-friendly classes a try—we know you will be happy you did!