How to Find the Right Nursing Home For Your Elderly Loved One
If your elderly parent or family member is going to be moving to a nursing home, it can mark a major change in your life and the life of your loved one. This is why it is so important to take the time to make sure that you are sending your loved one to a nursing home that you can trust and feel confident in. With more and more nursing homes popping up all over the country, there is no end to the different options that families have to choose from when it comes to finding the best facility for their loved one.
With this in mind, it is important to take this decision seriously and find a nursing home that works best for your loved one and their unique care situation. While every senior is different and will require different things from their nursing home experience, here are a few questions to ask when trying to find the right nursing home for your loved one.
- Are you Medicare certified?
- How long is the waiting period for admission?
- Is there a memory care unit should my loved one need it?
- How many beds are in a room?
- How many residents total are in this facility? How many staff members are there?
- Is the staff licensed and certified?
- Do you have medically-trained professionals on staff?
- Where is the dining hall and what type of meals do you serve residents?
- What makes your nursing home different than other nursing homes in the area?
- Can residents maintain their own daily routine?
- What types of activities do you have for residents?
- What type of transportation services do you have for your residents?
- What are the visiting hours? What security measures to you have regarding visitors?
- Can my loved one bring their own personal items to your facility? What about furniture?
- Do you have connections with local hospitals in case of emergencies?
- How does medication management work in your facility?
- Do you have a full staff present on the nights and weekends?
- Can my loved one continue to see their personal doctor?
- Are there handrails and grab bars in the bathrooms for my loved one?
- How do you prevent falls in your facility?
The more questions that you have, the better. Do not be afraid to ask about the specifics of this facility as this nursing home will be responsible for making sure that your loved one is happy, healthy and well-taken care of. Keep these questions in mind as you start to look for the best nursing home for your loved one so you can rest at ease knowing your elderly family member is receiving the best care possible.