Indoor Activities for Seniors When the Weather Gets Cold
It is that time of year again. That time of year when the temperatures start to drop, and it starts getting cold, wet and miserable out. However, it is important to remember that being outside in the winter isn’t just uncomfortable, it can also be dangerous, especially for seniors. This is why when seniors have the choice between going outside in bad weather or staying indoors, it is always best to play it safe.
However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of ways to have fun and prevent yourself from feeling locked up when the weather is bad. Here are a few different safe, engaging and fun activities that any senior can enjoy when the weather outside gets frightful.
- Do a puzzle, either alone or with a friend!
- Do crosswords from the paper or from a crossword book—there are plenty of options out there.
- Listen to old music—or maybe even do some dancing!
- Knit or sew something that will help keep you warm when the weather is cold.
- Read a new type of book you have never tried before, it can be fun to branch out.
- Start an indoor garden.
- Redecorate a room in the house, there is no better time to do it.
- Stay active with easy indoor exercises like stretching, touching your toes or jogging in place.
- Have a movie marathon featuring old movies from the past—it can be a fun trip down memory lane.
- Take the time to sit down and video chat with family members from around the country. This is a great opportunity to catch up with those that live far away.
While it is normal to want to get out of the house, and no one likes feeling cooped up, it is important for seniors to remember that going out in bad winter weather can actually be a safety issue. Instead of risking a fall or your health by heading outdoors, keep these fun indoor activities in mind. They can help pass the time until the weather clears up and it is safe to go back outdoors.