SeniorAdvice.com 2016 Caregiver Scholarship Winner Announced
The first annual 2016 SeniorAdvice.com Caregiver Scholarship winner has been chosen. Dustin Lane, who is attending Chowan University, will receive a $1,000 for his caregiving experience.
Dustin is a caregiver for his grandmother who has Alzheimer’s. Dustin has educated himself on dementia and Alzheimer’s and is an advocate for the disease. Dustin takes care of his Memaw by feeding, changing and caring for her and has missed out on adolescent opportunities in order to care for his grandmother. However, he does not mind missing out because he loves his Memaw and wants to be there for her through her final stages of life.
Dustin has been inspired to go into the medical field so he can help others. He’s also planning on starting a community service project to help others who have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s organize, plan and prepare for what may come.
Dustin acknowledges that “caregivers can get down and depressed because you’re watching someone disappear into the darkness of Alzheimer’s.” Through his time taking care of his grandmother, Dustin has tried to remain positive and live life to the fullest.
See Dustin’s full scholarship submission video below.
- Lori Thomas has decades of experience as a caregiver. Her writing for SeniorAdvice.com is informed by years of research as well as hands-on family experience caring for her now late mother, who had chronic health issues for most of her life. Lori is an integral part of the SeniorAdvice.com management team, acting as Vice President of Marketing and Chief Editor.
- 2020.02.20General Senior LivingYour Guide to Long-Distance Grandparenting
- 2020.02.20General Senior LivingHome Design Tips for People Struggling With Sight
- 2020.02.20General Senior LivingSpring Cleaning Tips for Seniors
- 2020.02.20General Senior Living16 Great Exercises Seniors Can Do Outside This Spring