This Year—Give a Senior Center a Try
The year 2018 is quickly coming to a close, which means it is time to start thinking about the new things that you will try in the new year. For any senior out there who is looking to make 2019 their best year yet—why not consider joining a senior center?
There are senior centers in cities and towns all over the country, and they are a very important and valuable resource for seniors who want to enjoy some companionship with their peers during the day. These seniors centers are great for active seniors who want social outings but can also help seniors who struggle to get out of the house and cook for themselves as easily as well.
Most senior centers are available for a free or very affordable membership (depending on the actual center) and are easy to join. If you are considering looking for a new senior center for your new year, you may be surprised to find just how many senior centers there are out there. As you start to look at your different options, here are some tips on how to make sure you are finding the right senior center for you.
Here are a few different things you can expect to find in certain senior centers:
- Routine social events. Whether they are outings to destinations in the community, ice cream socials or dances, a great senior center will always have fun big events for all of its members to enjoy.
- Fun classes. Many senior centers will have art classes, foreign language classes and classes designed to teach seniors new, fun skills, all as part of their program.
- Hot meals. This is one of the most important things that you can expect from a senior center—a place to get a hot, nutritious meal. While you don’t necessarily have to eat at the senior center, it is important to know that you can eat a hearty breakfast and a healthy lunch at your community center.
- Exercise opportunities. It is so important to stay active as you age, and a great senior center will offer exercise opportunities for the seniors who utilize their services. This can be organized exercises classes, access to a gym or trips to a local pool—all in the name of staying active and healthy.
- Transportation services. There are many senior centers that offer transportation services, such as bus trips to the grocery store, transportation to events or even transportation to pick members up—it isn’t something every senior center has, but it is a great resource when it is available.
Most importantly, you will want to find a senior center that you feel comfortable with. If you keep these tips in mind and know what to look for, you will know when you have found a great senior center to meet your needs.