Senior Living in 18509 (Scranton, PA)
- 18509 has a SeniorScore® of 72, which is the 6th highest of any zip code in Scranton, PA.
- 18509 scores lower than the Scranton, PA average of 74.
- 18509 scores lower than the Pennsylvania average of 75.
- 18509 scores the same as the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within close range.
- There are 5 hospitals nearby, including Community Medical Center, Moses Taylor Hospital, and Mercy Hospital Scranton.
- There are 29 senior living facilities in the area, including Holy Family Residence, Green Ridge Care Center, and The Gardens of Green Ridge.
- There are 15 home healthcare providers operating in the area.
- There are 29 fire stations in close proximity.
- The average life expectancy is 78.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 105 pharmacies within short driving distance.
- The area has a an average property crime rate.
- The area has a a very low violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The area has an average percent of seniors (27% of the total population).
- There are 31 golf courses nearby, including Eighteen Hole Course at Pine Hills Country Club, Summit Hills Golf Club, and North Course at Country Club of Scranton, The.
- There are 3 parks nearby, including Nay Aug Park, Steamtown National Historic Site, and McDade Park.
- There are 53 churches nearby, including St Clare\'s Church, Trinity Baptist Church, and St Paul\'s Rectory.
- The area has a very high number of malls and/or shopping centers.
- The area has a very high number of grocery stores and/or markets.
- The area has a very high number of movie theatres.
- The area has a very high number of health clubs / fitness studios.
- The property taxes average 3.40% of total income, which is high compared to the national median.
- The property taxes average 1.43% of total property value, which is high compared to the national median.
- The sales tax rate is 7.00%, which is medium compared to the national median.
- Pennsylvania has a low average state income tax rate of 3.07%.
- The area has an average household income of $59,498, which is in the top 47% of all incomes in the US.
- The area has a median household income of $42,376, which is in the top 63% of all incomes in the US.
- The area has a per capita income of $23,536, which is in the top 49% of all per capita incomes in the US.
- Assisted living costs average $36,000 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $102,200 per year, which are high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $16,120 per year, which are low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $45,760 annually, which are medium compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 5.58%, which is low compared to national statistics.
- The overall cost of living is high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- This area receives low levels of rainfall each year.
- This area has harsh mean temperatures, with average winters and pleasant summers.
- This area has very poor air quality.
- 18509 has a dense population density of 4,734.8 people per square mile.
- Residents have a very short daily commute time.
- The area has a low public transportation ridership.
- The area has an average public school quality ranking.
- The area has a very low public school safety ranking.
- This area has an average education attainment of 84.86%.