Senior Living in 18706 (Wilkes Barre, PA)
- 18706 has a SeniorScore® of 80, which is the 2nd highest of any zip code in Wilkes Barre, PA.
- 18706 scores higher than the Wilkes Barre, PA average of 76.
- 18706 scores higher than the Pennsylvania average of 75.
- 18706 scores significantly higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within close range.
- There are 9 hospitals nearby, including Mercy Special Care Hospital, Wilkes-barre General Hospital, and Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center.
- There are 28 senior living facilities in the area, including Hampton House, Birchwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, and Plymouth Manor Personal Care Center.
- There are 14 home healthcare providers operating in the area.
- There are 29 fire stations in close proximity.
- The average life expectancy is 78.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 163 pharmacies within short driving distance.
Recreation & Leisure
- The area has an average percent of seniors (32% of the total population).
- There are 34 golf courses nearby, including Wyoming Valley Country Club, Blue Ridge Trail Golf Club, and Wilkes-Barre Golf Club.
- There are 2 parks nearby (Kirby Park and Seven Tubs Nature Area).
- There are 74 churches nearby, including St Casimirs Rectory, St Aloysius Catholic Church, and Exaltation of the Holy Cross.
- The area has a very high number of malls and/or shopping centers.
- The area has a very high number of grocery stores and/or markets.
- The area has a high number of movie theatres.
- The area has a very high number of health clubs / fitness studios.
- The property taxes average 3.02% of total income, which is high compared to the national median.
- The property taxes average 1.40% of total property value, which is high compared to the national median.
- The sales tax rate is 7.00%, which is medium compared to the national median.
- Pennsylvania has a low average state income tax rate of 3.07%.
- The area has an average household income of $50,269, which is in the top 70% of all incomes in the US.
- The area has a median household income of $38,543, which is in the top 74% of all incomes in the US.
- The area has a per capita income of $22,382, which is in the top 56% of all per capita incomes in the US.
- Assisted living costs average $36,000 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $102,200 per year, which are high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $16,120 per year, which are low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $45,760 annually, which are medium compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 6.17%, which is low compared to national statistics.
- The overall cost of living is high compared to national averages.
- 0% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- This area receives low levels of rainfall each year.
- This area has harsh mean temperatures, with average winters and pleasant summers.
- This area has above average air quality.
- 18706 has an average population density of 607.8 people per square mile.
- Residents have a short daily commute time.
- The area has a low public transportation ridership.
- The area has an average public school quality ranking.
- The area has a very low public school safety ranking.
- This area has an average education attainment of 87.18%.