Senior Living in 21221 (Essex, MD)
- 21221 scores the same as the Essex, MD average of 74.
- 21221 scores lower than the Maryland average of 78.
- 21221 scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within close range.
- There are 3 hospitals nearby, including Franklin Square Hospital Center, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, and Va Maryland Health Care System.
- There are 47 senior living facilities in the area, including Hopkins Village Elderly, Oakwood Care Center, and Woodlands Assisted Living.
- There are 7 home healthcare providers operating in the area.
- There are 17 fire stations in close proximity.
- The average life expectancy is 78.8, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 159 pharmacies within short driving distance.
Recreation & Leisure
- The area has an average percent of seniors (26% of the total population).
- There are 38 golf courses nearby, including Rocky Point Golf Course, Sparrows Point Country Club -Eighteen Hole, and Clifton Park Golf Course.
- There are 3 parks nearby, including Hart-Miller Island State Park, North Point State Park, and Marshy Point Nature Center.
- There are 104 churches nearby, including Mars Hill Baptist Church, Boulevard Christian Church, and Central Baptist Church.
- The area has a very high number of malls and/or shopping centers.
- The area has a very high number of grocery stores and/or markets.
- The area has a very high number of movie theatres.
- The area has a very high number of health clubs / fitness studios.
- The property taxes average 2.98% of total income, which is high compared to the national median.
- The property taxes average 0.87% of total property value, which is medium compared to the national median.
- The sales tax rate is 6.00%, which is very low compared to the national median.
- Maryland has a medium average state income tax rate of 4.15%.
- The area has an average household income of $61,765, which is in the top 42% of all incomes in the US.
- The area has a median household income of $50,459, which is in the top 43% of all incomes in the US.
- The area has a per capita income of $25,128, which is in the top 40% of all per capita incomes in the US.
- Assisted living costs average $45,600 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $119,720 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $20,670 per year, which are high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $45,760 annually, which are medium compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 9.27%, which is high compared to national statistics.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 2% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- This area receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- This area has mild mean temperatures, with very mild winters and pleasant summers.
- This area has below average air quality.
- This area has below average water quality.
- 21221 has a dense population density of 2,854.8 people per square mile.
- Residents have a long daily commute time.
- The area has a high public transportation ridership.
- The area has a high public school quality ranking.
- The area has a high public school safety ranking.
- This area has a low education attainment of 82.05%.