Senior Living in Alfred, Maine
Top zip codes in Alfred, ME: 04002
- Alfred scores higher than the Maine average of 68.
- Alfred scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 2 hospitals within close range of the city (Henrietta D Goodall Hospital and Southern Maine Medical Center).
- There are 20 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Hillcrest Gardens Residential, The Newton Center For Rehab and Nursing, and Greenwood Center.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 79.2, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 80 pharmacies within close range of the city.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a high percentage of seniors in the population (31% of residents).
- There are 40 golf courses in or around the city, including Sanford Golf Club, Apple Valley Golf Course, and Webhannet Golf Club.
- There are 3 parks near the city center, including Red Apple Campground, Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge, and The Wells National Estuarine Research Reserve.
- There are 48 churches in or near the city, including Alfred Parish Church, Brothers of Christian Instrctn, and Holy Family Church Office.
- There are 4 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 40 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 2 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 34 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 3.81% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.05% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 5.50%, which is significantly lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Maine has an average state income tax of 5.08%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $68,889, which is higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $61,422, which is significantly higher than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $27,007, which is higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $66,096 per year, which are very high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $128,480 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $29,640 per year, which are very high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $54,912 annually, which are very high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 5.86%, which is low compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Alfred receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- Alfred has very harsh mean temperatures, with very cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has very good air quality.
- Alfred has a sparse population density of 111.3 people per square mile.
- Residents of Alfred have a very long daily commute time.
- The city has an average public transportation ridership.
- Alfred has a high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very high public school safety rating.
- This city has a high graduation rate of 92.45%.