Senior Living in Algona, Iowa
Top zip codes in Algona, IA: 50511
- Algona scores lower than the Iowa average of 75.
- Algona scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a low number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There is 1 hospital within close range of the city (Kossuth Regional Health Center).
- There are 6 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Windsor Manor - Algona, Algona Manor Care Center, and Good Samaritan Society - Algona.
- There is a low number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a low number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 79.7, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 8 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a very low property crime rate.
- The area has an average violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very high percentage of seniors in the population (37% of residents).
- There are 17 golf courses in or around the city, including River Road Golf Club, Algona Country Club, and Whittemore Golf Club.
- There are 5 parks near the city center, including Hurlburt Wildlife Area, Smith Lake Campground, and Lake Smith Park.
- There are 4 churches in or near the city, including Faith Assembly of God Church, Algona Evangelical Free Church, and First Lutheran Church.
- There is 1 mall / shopping center within close range of the city.
- There are 5 grocery stores within the city.
- There is 1 movie theatre in or near the city.
- There are 5 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 1.70% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.05% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.00%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Iowa has an average state income tax of 4.60%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $65,304, which is higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $48,734, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $29,449, which is significantly higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $37,650 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $65,700 per year, which are very low compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $15,600 per year, which are low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $50,061 annually, which are high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 2.13%, which is very low compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very low compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Algona receives low levels of rainfall each year.
- Algona has very harsh mean temperatures, with very cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has below average air quality.
- Algona has a very sparse population density of 57.6 people per square mile.
- Residents of Algona have a very short daily commute time.
- Algona has a high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a low public school safety rating.
- This city has a high graduation rate of 90.58%.