Senior Living in Allentown, Pennsylvania
- Allentown scores lower than the Pennsylvania average of 75.
- Allentown scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 11 hospitals within close range of the city, including Lehigh Valley Hospital, Good Shepherd Rehab Hospital, and Sacred Heart Hospital.
- There are 69 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Phoebe Allentown Health Care Center, Above and Beyond, and ManorCare Health Services - West Allen.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a very high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 78.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 377 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has an average property crime rate.
- The area has a high violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a low percentage of seniors in the population (25% of residents).
- There are 75 golf courses in or around the city, including Lehigh Country Club, Allentown Municipal Golf Course, and Iron Lakes Country Club.
- There are 7 parks near the city center, including Bicentennial Park, Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom, and Covered Bridge Park.
- There are 262 churches in or near the city, including Cedar Crest Bible Fellowship, St Thomas More Church, and St Paul Catholic Church.
- There are 10 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 179 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 10 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 143 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 4.39% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.48% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.00%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Pennsylvania has an average state income tax of 3.07%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $60,419, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $45,471, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $23,504, which is lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $51,660 per year, which are very high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $139,550 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $19,500 per year, which are high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $47,728 annually, which are high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 11.70%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Allentown receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- Allentown has average mean temperatures, with average winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has above average air quality.
- Allentown has a dense population density of 5,854.8 people per square mile.
- Residents of Allentown have a short daily commute time.
- The city has a low public transportation ridership.
- Allentown has an average public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very low public school safety rating.
- This city has a low graduation rate of 79.50%.