Senior Living in Altoona, Iowa
Top zip codes in Altoona, IA: 50009
- Altoona scores higher than the Iowa average of 75.
- Altoona scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is an average number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 6 hospitals within close range of the city, including Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Broadlawns Medical Center, and Mercy Medical Center-des Moines.
- There are 60 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Altoona Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Prairie Vista Village, and Courtyard Estates - Pleasant Hill.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 79.7, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 210 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has an average property crime rate.
- The area has a low violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very low percentage of seniors in the population (20% of residents).
- There are 44 golf courses in or around the city, including Terrace Hills Golf Course, Copper Creek Golf Course, and Grand View Golf Course.
- There are 40 parks near the city center, including Haines Park, Skate Park, and Lions Park.
- There are 326 churches in or near the city, including S S John & Paul Catholic Chr, Altoona Christian Church, and Christ the King Lutheran Chr.
- There are 26 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 107 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 10 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 34 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 3.41% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.60% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.00%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Iowa has an average state income tax of 4.60%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $77,343, which is significantly higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $63,410, which is significantly higher than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $30,229, which is significantly higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $43,350 per year, which are average compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $77,380 per year, which are low compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $17,550 per year, which are average compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $57,200 annually, which are very high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 3.63%, which is very low compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very low compared to national averages.
- 0% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Altoona receives low levels of rainfall each year.
- Altoona has harsh mean temperatures, with cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has average air quality.
- Altoona has an average population density of 641.4 people per square mile.
- Residents of Altoona have a short daily commute time.
- The city has a low public transportation ridership.
- Altoona has a high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a low public school safety rating.
- This city has a very high graduation rate of 95.92%.