Senior Living in Altoona, Pennsylvania
- Altoona scores lower than the Pennsylvania average of 75.
- Altoona scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 7 hospitals within close range of the city, including James E. Van Zandt Va Medical Center (altoona), Healthsouth Rehab Hospital, and Bon Secours-holy Family Syst.
- There are 16 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Valley View Health and Rehabilitation Center, Altoona Center For Nursing Care, and Colonial Courtyard In-Home Senior Care.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a very high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 78.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 130 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a low property crime rate.
- The area has an average violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has an average percentage of seniors in the population (30% of residents).
- There are 19 golf courses in or around the city, including Greenwood Golf Course, Park Hills Country Club, and Sinking Valley Country Club.
- There are 4 parks near the city center, including Lakemont Park, Canoe Creek State Park, and Wright\'s Orchard Station.
- There are 82 churches in or near the city, including Calvary Baptist Church, Twenty-Eighth St Church, and First Church-Brethren.
- There are 8 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 42 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 5 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 38 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 1.99% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.05% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.00%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Pennsylvania has an average state income tax of 3.07%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $50,172, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $38,756, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $20,814, which is significantly lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $45,720 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $112,420 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $13,780 per year, which are very low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $42,671 annually, which are low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 9.34%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is average compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Altoona receives average levels of rainfall each year.
- Altoona has harsh mean temperatures, with average winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has very poor air quality.
- Altoona has an average population density of 1,194.1 people per square mile.
- Residents of Altoona have a very short daily commute time.
- The city has a low public transportation ridership.
- Altoona has an average public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very low public school safety rating.
- This city has a high graduation rate of 89.45%.