Senior Living in Ames, Iowa
- Ames scores lower than the Iowa average of 75.
- Ames scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 4 hospitals within close range of the city, including Mary Greeley Medical Center, Story County Hospital, and Story County Hospital & Ltc.
- There are 18 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Bickford of Ames, Riverside South, and Green Hills Retirement Community.
- There is an average number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a low number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 79.7, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 69 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a low property crime rate.
- The area has a low violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very low percentage of seniors in the population (16% of residents).
- There are 34 golf courses in or around the city, including Veenker Memorial Golf Course, Homewood Golf Course, and Homewood Golf Course.
- There are 9 parks near the city center, including ISU Arboretum, Reiman Gardens, and Gateway Hills Park.
- There are 22 churches in or near the city, including Ames Church of Nazarene, Unity Church of Ames, and First Assembly of God.
- There are 5 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 26 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 2 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 24 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 2.78% of total income, which is lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.33% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.00%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Iowa has an average state income tax of 4.60%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $57,944, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $40,301, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $25,684, which is higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $49,005 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $66,430 per year, which are very low compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $20,800 per year, which are high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $51,480 annually, which are very high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 6.60%, which is low compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is average compared to national averages.
- 0% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Ames receives low levels of rainfall each year.
- Ames has harsh mean temperatures, with cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has above average air quality.
- Ames has a very dense population density of 8,822.6 people per square mile.
- Residents of Ames have a very short daily commute time.
- Ames has a high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a low public school safety rating.
- This city has a very high graduation rate of 97.43%.