Senior Living in Amherst, Massachusetts
- Amherst scores significantly lower than the Massachusetts average of 77.
- Amherst scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is an average number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 3 hospitals within close range of the city, including University Health Services, Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,the, and Veterans Affairs Med Center.
- There are 28 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Center For Extended Care at Amherst, Elaine Center at Hadley, and Highland Valley Elder Service.
- There is an average number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is an average number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 87 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a very low property crime rate.
- The area has a low violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very low percentage of seniors in the population (15% of residents).
- There are 58 golf courses in or around the city, including Hickory Ridge Country Club, Amherst Golf Club, and Cherry Hill Golf Course.
- There are 9 parks near the city center, including Haigis Mall, Mount Holyoke Range State Park, and J. A. Skinner State Park.
- There are 37 churches in or near the city, including First Baptist Church-Amherst, North Congregational Church, and Baha\'is of Amherst.
- There are 7 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 62 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 5 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 27 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 4.01% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.20% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.25%, which is significantly lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Massachusetts has an average state income tax of 4.74%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $63,768, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $40,083, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $23,104, which is lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $57,270 per year, which are very high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $141,058 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $17,550 per year, which are average compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $53,196 annually, which are very high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 10.76%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 0% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Amherst receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- Amherst has harsh mean temperatures, with cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has above average air quality.
- This city has above average water quality.
- Amherst has a dense population density of 7,557.8 people per square mile.
- Residents of Amherst have a very short daily commute time.
- The city has an average public transportation ridership.
- Amherst has a very high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very high public school safety rating.
- This city has a very high graduation rate of 97.21%.