Senior Living in Athens, Alabama
- Athens scores lower than the Alabama average of 72.
- Athens scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is an average number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There is 1 hospital within close range of the city (Athens-limestone Hospital).
- There are 6 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Limestone Health Facility, Limestone Lodge, and Athens Rehabilitation Center and Senior Care.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a very high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 75.4, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 43 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has an average property crime rate.
- The area has a very low violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a low percentage of seniors in the population (26% of residents).
- There are 27 golf courses in or around the city, including Woodland Golf Course, Southern Gales Golf Club, and Chriswood Golf Course.
- There are 5 parks near the city center, including Sears Hometown Store, Big Spring Park, and Northgate RV Travel Park.
- There are 37 churches in or near the city, including Clements Baptist Church, First Baptist Church, and Round Island Baptist Church.
- There are no malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 27 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 2 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 5 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 0.68% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.31% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 8.25%, which is significantly higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Alabama has an average state income tax of 3.95%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $63,433, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $51,288, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $23,309, which is lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $43,578 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $79,570 per year, which are low compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $11,700 per year, which are very low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $35,464 annually, which are very low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 8.37%, which is average compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very low compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Athens receives very high levels of rainfall each year.
- Athens has mild mean temperatures, with comfortable winters and warm summers.
- This city has average air quality.
- Athens has a sparse population density of 201.9 people per square mile.
- Residents of Athens have an average daily commute time.
- The city has a very low public transportation ridership.
- Athens has a very low public school quality ranking.
- The city has a low public school safety rating.
- This city has a low graduation rate of 79.69%.