Senior Living in Athens, Georgia
- Athens scores higher than the Georgia average of 72.
- Athens scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 2 hospitals within close range of the city (St Mary\'s Hospital and Athens Regional Medical Center).
- There are 22 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Pruitthealth - Grandview, PruittHealth Home First - Athens, and Pruitthealth - Athens Heritage.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is an average number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 77.2, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 163 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has an average property crime rate.
- The area has an average violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very low percentage of seniors in the population (16% of residents).
- There are 22 golf courses in or around the city, including East/South Course at Athens Country Club, Green Hills Country Club, and University of Georgia Golf Course.
- There are 14 parks near the city center, including Rocksprings Park, Lay Park Pool, and Sandy Creek Nature Center.
- There are 71 churches in or near the city, including Rhema Christian Fellowship, First United Methodist Church, and First Ame Church.
- There are 23 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 70 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 6 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 5 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 2.59% of total income, which is lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.96% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.50%, which is lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Georgia has an average state income tax of 5.02%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $51,781, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $33,707, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $20,631, which is significantly lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $37,800 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $65,700 per year, which are very low compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $15,600 per year, which are low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $41,184 annually, which are very low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 7.25%, which is average compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is low compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Athens receives very high levels of rainfall each year.
- Athens has ideal mean temperatures, with very mild winters and warm summers.
- This city has average air quality.
- Athens has a very dense population density of 15,335.8 people per square mile.
- Residents of Athens have a very short daily commute time.
- The city has a very high public transportation ridership.
- Athens has a low public school quality ranking.
- The city has a high public school safety rating.
- This city has an average graduation rate of 86.41%.