Senior Living in Athens, Louisiana
Top zip codes in Athens, LA: 71003
- Athens scores higher than the Louisiana average of 72.
- Athens scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a low number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 2 hospitals within close range of the city (Bienville Medical Center and Homer Memorial Hospital).
- There are 5 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Willow Ridge Nursing and Rehab Center, Leslie Lakes Retirement Center, and Presbyterian Village of Homer.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a low number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 75.7, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 20 pharmacies within close range of the city.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a high percentage of seniors in the population (34% of residents).
- There are 10 golf courses in or around the city, including Trails End Golf Course, Homer Golf Course, and Pine Hills Country Club.
- There are 5 parks near the city center, including Trail\'s End Golf Course, US Forestry Department, and Bonnie & Clyde Trade Days-RV.
- There are 8 churches in or near the city, including Athens Baptist Church, Church of Christ, and Alabama Baptist Church.
- There is 1 mall / shopping center within close range of the city.
- There are 6 grocery stores within the city.
- There are no movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are no gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 0.52% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.33% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.88%, which is significantly higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Louisiana has an average state income tax of 2.68%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $52,841, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $40,536, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $21,665, which is significantly lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $37,200 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $60,225 per year, which are very low compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $18,200 per year, which are average compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $30,888 annually, which are very low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 18.89%, which is very high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is average compared to national averages.
- 5% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Athens receives very high levels of rainfall each year.
- Athens has ideal mean temperatures, with very mild winters and very warm summers.
- This city has below average air quality.
- Athens has a very sparse population density of 15.6 people per square mile.
- Residents of Athens have an average daily commute time.
- Athens has a very low public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very low public school safety rating.
- This city has a very low graduation rate of 74.21%.