Senior Living in Athens, West Virginia
Top zip codes in Athens, WV: 24712
- Athens scores higher than the West Virginia average of 74.
- Athens scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 3 hospitals within close range of the city, including Princeton Community Hospital, Healthsouth Rehab Hospital, and Princeton Community Hospital.
- There are 11 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Rockin Chair Residential Care, Serenity Place , and Ridge Care.
- There is a very low number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is an average number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 75.4, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 28 pharmacies within close range of the city.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very low percentage of seniors in the population (22% of residents).
- There are 18 golf courses in or around the city, including Pipestem State Park Resort (Eighteen Hole Regulation Course at Pipestem State Park Resort), Princeton Elks Golf Course, and WillowWood Country Club.
- There are 8 parks near the city center, including Brush Creek Preserve, Pipestem Resort State Park, and Athens Park.
- There are 8 churches in or near the city, including Bethel United Methodist Church, Memorial Church of Christ, and First Church of God-anderson.
- There is 1 mall / shopping center within close range of the city.
- There are 20 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 2 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There is 1 gym or health club in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 0.95% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.49% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.50%, which is lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- West Virginia has an average state income tax of 4.11%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $51,364, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $42,417, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $14,759, which is significantly lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $38,550 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $110,595 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $19,500 per year, which are high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $34,320 annually, which are very low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 10.37%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is average compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Athens receives average levels of rainfall each year.
- Athens has average mean temperatures, with average winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has average air quality.
- Athens has a sparse population density of 233.0 people per square mile.
- Residents of Athens have a very short daily commute time.
- Athens has a very low public school quality ranking.
- The city has a high public school safety rating.
- This city has a very high graduation rate of 93.49%.