Senior Living in Athol, Massachusetts
Top zip codes in Athol, MA: 01331
- Athol scores significantly lower than the Massachusetts average of 77.
- Athol scores significantly lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 2 hospitals within close range of the city (Athol Memorial Hospital and Heywood Hospital).
- There are 6 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Providence Cliff Senior Residence, Quabbin Valley Healthcare, and Baldwinville Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.
- There is a low number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 39 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a low property crime rate.
- The area has an average violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has an average percentage of seniors in the population (27% of residents).
- There are 51 golf courses in or around the city, including Ellinwood Country Club, Petersham Country Club, and Winchendon Country Club.
- There are 5 parks near the city center, including Templeton Common Historic District, Otter River State Forest, and Dunn Pond State Park.
- There are 21 churches in or near the city, including Athol Congregationl Parsonage, Athol Congregation Church, and Starrett Memorial Methodist.
- There are 2 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 28 grocery stores within the city.
- There is 1 movie theatre in or near the city.
- There are 18 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 3.73% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.10% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.25%, which is significantly lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Massachusetts has an average state income tax of 4.74%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $63,316, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $53,274, which is higher than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $24,957, which is lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $57,091 per year, which are very high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $131,765 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $17,680 per year, which are average compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $56,056 annually, which are very high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 11.38%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Athol receives average levels of rainfall each year.
- Athol has very harsh mean temperatures, with very cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has average air quality.
- Athol has a sparse population density of 249.2 people per square mile.
- Residents of Athol have a long daily commute time.
- The city has a low public transportation ridership.
- Athol has a very high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very high public school safety rating.
- This city has an average graduation rate of 86.29%.