Senior Living in Avoca, Iowa
Top zip codes in Avoca, IA: 51521
- Avoca scores higher than the Iowa average of 75.
- Avoca scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is an average number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There is 1 hospital within close range of the city (Myrtue Medical Center).
- There are 5 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Avoca Specialty Care, Peace Haven Retirement Home, and Elm Crest Retirement Community.
- There is a low number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a low number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 79.7, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 18 pharmacies within close range of the city.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a high percentage of seniors in the population (33% of residents).
- There are 16 golf courses in or around the city, including Avoca Golf & Country Club, Rosman Glendale Shelby County Golf, and Harlan Golf & Country Club.
- There are 4 parks near the city center, including Botna Bend Park, Prairie Rose State Park, and Dr Joseph Spearing Park.
- There are 9 churches in or near the city, including St Mary\'s Catholic Church, Trinity Lutheran Church, and United Church of Avoca.
- There is 1 mall / shopping center within close range of the city.
- There are 6 grocery stores within the city.
- There are no movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 3 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 2.87% of total income, which is higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.39% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.00%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Iowa has an average state income tax of 4.60%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $65,563, which is higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $54,688, which is higher than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $29,401, which is significantly higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $37,650 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $65,700 per year, which are very low compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $15,600 per year, which are low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $50,061 annually, which are high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 4.93%, which is low compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very low compared to national averages.
- 0% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Avoca receives low levels of rainfall each year.
- Avoca has harsh mean temperatures, with cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has above average air quality.
- This city has very poor water quality.
- Avoca has a very sparse population density of 23.8 people per square mile.
- Residents of Avoca have a long daily commute time.
- The city has a very low public transportation ridership.
- Avoca has a high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a low public school safety rating.
- This city has a high graduation rate of 92.45%.