Senior Living in Big Island, Virginia
Top zip codes in Big Island, VA: 24526
- Big Island scores higher than the Virginia average of 78.
- Big Island scores significantly higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is an average number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There is 1 hospital within close range of the city (Virginia Baptist Hospital).
- There are 11 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Manor of Natural Bridge, Oakwood Health and Rehabilitation Center , and Westminster-Canterbury Lynchburg.
- There is an average number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is an average number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 79.0, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 12 pharmacies within close range of the city.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very high percentage of seniors in the population (35% of residents).
- There are 16 golf courses in or around the city, including Poplar Grove Golf Club, Oakwood Country Club, and London Downs Golf Club.
- There are 3 parks near the city center, including Yogi Bear\'s Jellystone Park, Middle Creek Campground, and Natural Bridge Zoo.
- There are 16 churches in or near the city, including Reed Creek Baptist Church, Riley Patrick, and Rivermont Baptist Church.
- There is 1 mall / shopping center within close range of the city.
- There are 8 grocery stores within the city.
- There are no movie theatres in or near the city.
- There is 1 gym or health club in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 1.51% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.49% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 5.90%, which is significantly lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Virginia has an average state income tax of 4.54%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $66,443, which is higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $46,505, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $28,611, which is significantly higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $46,710 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $82,640 per year, which are average compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $15,600 per year, which are low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $36,608 annually, which are very low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 1.79%, which is very low compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is average compared to national averages.
- 0% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Big Island receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- Big Island has mild mean temperatures, with comfortable winters and warm summers.
- This city has very good air quality.
- Big Island has a very sparse population density of 24.4 people per square mile.
- Residents of Big Island have a long daily commute time.
- The city has an average public transportation ridership.
- Big Island has a high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very high public school safety rating.
- This city has a low graduation rate of 80.83%.