Senior Living in Boston, Massachusetts
- Boston scores significantly lower than the Massachusetts average of 77.
- Boston scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 50 hospitals within close range of the city, including New England Medical Center, Tufts Medical Center, and Boston Medical Center Corporation.
- There are 264 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Marian Manor, Sylvan Crossing at Creekside Estates, and Hale House and Hale Barnard Services.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is an average number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 1468 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has an average property crime rate.
- The area has a high violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very low percentage of seniors in the population (18% of residents).
- There are 162 golf courses in or around the city, including Fresh Pond Golf Course, William J. Devine Franklin Park Golf Course, and Winthrop Golf Club.
- There are 33 parks near the city center, including Peters Park, Boston Public Garden, and Friends of the Public Garden.
- There are 665 churches in or near the city, including St Thomas Aquinas Parish Rctry, Boston Chinese Evangelical Chr, and Dorchester Temple Bapt Church.
- There are 17 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 868 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 59 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 629 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 3.51% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.78% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.25%, which is significantly lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Massachusetts has an average state income tax of 4.74%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $72,616, which is significantly higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $47,804, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $32,487, which is significantly higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $66,720 per year, which are very high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $148,738 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $15,600 per year, which are low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $60,632 annually, which are very high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 11.68%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Boston receives average levels of rainfall each year.
- Boston has average mean temperatures, with average winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has very poor air quality.
- This city has very good water quality.
- Boston has a very dense population density of 23,046.8 people per square mile.
- Residents of Boston have an average daily commute time.
- The city has a very high public transportation ridership.
- Boston has a very high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very high public school safety rating.
- This city has an average graduation rate of 82.02%.