Senior Living in Brooklyn, New York
- Brooklyn scores lower than the New York average of 71.
- Brooklyn scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 79 hospitals within close range of the city, including New York Methodist Hospital, Interfaith Medical Center, and Interfaith Medical Center.
- There are 284 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Prospect Park Residence, New York Congregational Nursing Center, and Beth Abraham Health Services — Center for Nursing & Rehabilitation.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 5178 pharmacies within close range of the city.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a low percentage of seniors in the population (22% of residents).
- There are 196 golf courses in or around the city, including Dyker Beach Golf Course, Marine Park Golf Course, and Forest Park Golf Course.
- There are 54 parks near the city center, including Prospect Park, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, and Fort Greene Park.
- There are 1826 churches in or near the city, including St Marks Baptist Church, Philadelphia Church-Universal, and St Francis of Assisi Church.
- There are 14 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 3074 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 233 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 1095 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 3.90% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.52% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.50%, which is lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- New York has an average state income tax of 4.81%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $63,094, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $45,949, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $24,261, which is lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $39,300 per year, which are average compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $153,300 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $27,300 per year, which are very high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $46,332 annually, which are average compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 9.54%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Brooklyn receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- Brooklyn has mild mean temperatures, with comfortable winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has above average air quality.
- This city has average water quality.
- Brooklyn has a very dense population density of 41,703.5 people per square mile.
- Residents of Brooklyn have a very long daily commute time.
- The city has a very high public transportation ridership.
- Brooklyn has a low public school quality ranking.
- The city has an average public school safety rating.
- This city has a low graduation rate of 77.38%.