Senior Living in Brownsville, Texas
- Brownsville scores significantly lower than the Texas average of 74.
- Brownsville scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 4 hospitals within close range of the city, including Valley Regional Medical Center, Brownsville Surgical Hospital, and Knapp Medical Center.
- There are 7 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Brownsville Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Valley Grande Manor, and Spanish Meadows.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a low number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 78.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 139 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a high property crime rate.
- The area has an average violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very low percentage of seniors in the population (18% of residents).
- There are 14 golf courses in or around the city, including Valley International Country Club(Eighteen Hole Course at Valley International Country Club ), Brownsville Golf & Recreation Center, and River Bend Resort & Country Club.
- There are 10 parks near the city center, including Brownsville Sports Park, Resaca de la Palma National Battlefield, and Monte Bella Trails Park.
- There are 39 churches in or near the city, including Iglesia Bautista Fundamental, San Felipe De Jesus Church, and San Pedro Mission.
- There are 13 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 41 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 2 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 26 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 3.40% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.76% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.25%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Texas has an average state income tax of 0.00%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $42,784, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $30,191, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $12,323, which is significantly lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $36,570 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $92,163 per year, which are average compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $8,211 per year, which are very low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $32,833 annually, which are very low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 8.82%, which is average compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very low compared to national averages.
- 2% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Brownsville receives ideal levels of rainfall each year.
- Brownsville has ideal mean temperatures, with very mild winters and very warm summers.
- This city has below average air quality.
- Brownsville has an average population density of 1,198.8 people per square mile.
- Residents of Brownsville have a very short daily commute time.
- The city has a low public transportation ridership.
- Brownsville has a low public school quality ranking.
- The city has a high public school safety rating.
- This city has a very low graduation rate of 57.61%.