Senior Living in Canaan, Connecticut
Top zip codes in Canaan, CT: 06018
- Canaan scores significantly lower than the Connecticut average of 75.
- Canaan scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a low number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There is 1 hospital within close range of the city (Fairview Hospital).
- There are 10 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Geer Nursing and Rehabilitation, Beckley House, and Village at Geer Woods.
- There is a low number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.8, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 31 pharmacies within close range of the city.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very high percentage of seniors in the population (35% of residents).
- There are 47 golf courses in or around the city, including Hotchkiss School Golf Course, Egremont Country Club, and Wyantenuck Country Club.
- There are 5 parks near the city center, including Mount Riga State Park, Mount Everett State Reservation, and Mount Washington State Forest.
- There are 12 churches in or near the city, including Congregational Church, St Joseph\'s Church, and Canaan United Methodist Church.
- There are no malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 13 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 2 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 13 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 4.97% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.41% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.85%, which is lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Connecticut has an average state income tax of 3.20%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $60,357, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $41,644, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $28,198, which is significantly higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $57,660 per year, which are very high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $161,695 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $22,100 per year, which are very high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $41,184 annually, which are very low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 11.30%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is high compared to national averages.
- 0% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Canaan receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- Canaan has harsh mean temperatures, with very cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has average air quality.
- Canaan has a sparse population density of 239.1 people per square mile.
- Residents of Canaan have a short daily commute time.
- Canaan has a very high public school quality ranking.
- The city has an average public school safety rating.
- This city has an average graduation rate of 85.19%.