Senior Living in Canton, South Dakota
Top zip codes in Canton, SD: 57013
- Canton scores higher than the South Dakota average of 68.
- Canton scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a low number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There is 1 hospital within close range of the city (Canton-inwood Mem Hospital).
- There are 5 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Good Samaritan Society Canton, Fellowship Village, and Hudson Care and Rehab Center.
- There is a very low number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a low number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 79.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 8 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a very low property crime rate.
- The area has a low violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has an average percentage of seniors in the population (28% of residents).
- There are 19 golf courses in or around the city, including Hiawatha Golf Club, Spring Creek Country Club, and Meadow Acres Golf Course.
- There are 2 parks near the city center (Newton Hills State Park and Lake Pahoja Recreation Area).
- There are 12 churches in or near the city, including Canton Assembly of God, Canton Lutheran Church, and Grand Valley Lutheran Church.
- There are no malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There is 1 grocery store within the city.
- There is 1 movie theatre in or near the city.
- There is 1 gym or health club in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 3.25% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.46% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 5.00%, which is significantly lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- South Dakota has an average state income tax of 0.00%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $58,898, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $48,737, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $25,086, which is lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $36,000 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $77,380 per year, which are low compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $22,750 per year, which are very high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $48,048 annually, which are high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 2.89%, which is very low compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is average compared to national averages.
- 0% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Canton receives ideal levels of rainfall each year.
- Canton has very harsh mean temperatures, with very cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has below average air quality.
- Canton has a very sparse population density of 32.5 people per square mile.
- Residents of Canton have a short daily commute time.
- The city has a low public transportation ridership.
- Canton has an average public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very low public school safety rating.
- This city has a high graduation rate of 91.55%.