Senior Living in Charleston, South Carolina
- Charleston scores significantly higher than the South Carolina average of 72.
- Charleston scores significantly higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 12 hospitals within close range of the city, including Naval Hospital, Palmetto Lowcountry Behav Hlth, and Roper Hospital North.
- There are 48 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Heartland of West Ashley Rehab and Nursing Center, Carter-May Home/St. Joseph Residence, and Marjorie\'s Community Care Home.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a very high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 77.0, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 447 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has an average property crime rate.
- The area has a low violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a low percentage of seniors in the population (23% of residents).
- There are 33 golf courses in or around the city, including City of Charleston (Municipal) Golf Course, Country Club of Charleston, and Eagle Landing Golf Club.
- There are 25 parks near the city center, including Charles Towne Landing, Hampton Park dog park, and Hampton Park.
- There are 176 churches in or near the city, including Charleston Baptist Church, Pinecrest Baptist Church, and First Baptist Church.
- There are 21 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 164 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 14 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 19 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 1.86% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.50% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.50%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- South Carolina has an average state income tax of 4.61%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $68,636, which is higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $49,486, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $29,029, which is significantly higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $36,600 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $85,775 per year, which are average compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $15,340 per year, which are low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $45,760 annually, which are average compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 8.40%, which is average compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is average compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Charleston receives very high levels of rainfall each year.
- Charleston has ideal mean temperatures, with very mild winters and very warm summers.
- This city has average air quality.
- This city has very good water quality.
- Charleston has a very dense population density of 9,555.5 people per square mile.
- Residents of Charleston have a short daily commute time.
- The city has a low public transportation ridership.
- Charleston has a very low public school quality ranking.
- The city has an average public school safety rating.
- This city has a high graduation rate of 88.64%.