Senior Living in Charleston, West Virginia
- Charleston scores higher than the West Virginia average of 74.
- Charleston scores significantly higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 6 hospitals within close range of the city, including Charleston Area Medical Center, St Francis Hospital, and Charleston Surgical Hospital.
- There are 18 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Thomas Health System Saint Francis Hospital, Brookdale Charleston Gardens, and Oakridge Center Genesis.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 75.4, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 204 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a very high property crime rate.
- The area has a very high violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a high percentage of seniors in the population (31% of residents).
- There are 12 golf courses in or around the city, including Coonskin Golf Course, Cato Park, and Berry Hills Country Club.
- There are 20 parks near the city center, including Charleston Area Alliance, Cato Park, and Cato Park Golf Course.
- There are 299 churches in or near the city, including Baptist Temple, Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral, and First Baptist Church.
- There are 13 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 59 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 5 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 9 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 1.22% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.63% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.50%, which is lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- West Virginia has an average state income tax of 4.11%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $66,081, which is higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $46,714, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $29,601, which is significantly higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $46,200 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $106,116 per year, which are high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $18,720 per year, which are high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $37,752 annually, which are very low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 6.71%, which is average compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is low compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Charleston receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- Charleston has average mean temperatures, with comfortable winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has above average air quality.
- Charleston has an average population density of 794.4 people per square mile.
- Residents of Charleston have a short daily commute time.
- The city has an average public transportation ridership.
- Charleston has a very low public school quality ranking.
- The city has a high public school safety rating.
- This city has an average graduation rate of 87.98%.