Senior Living in Chester, South Dakota
Top zip codes in Chester, SD: 57016
- Chester scores significantly higher than the South Dakota average of 68.
- Chester scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a low number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 2 hospitals within close range of the city (Madison Community Hospital - Critical Access Hosp and Avera Dells Area Health Center - Cah).
- There are 6 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Bethel Lutheran Home, Bethel Suites, and Heritage Senior Living.
- There is a low number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a low number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 79.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 20 pharmacies within close range of the city.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a high percentage of seniors in the population (31% of residents).
- There are 18 golf courses in or around the city, including Colman Area Recreation, Madison Golf & Country Club, and Dell Rapids Golf Course.
- There are 4 parks near the city center, including Walkers Point Recreation Area, Colman Area Recreation Golf Course, and Madison Public Works Director.
- There are 14 churches in or near the city, including Chester United Methodist Chr, United Methodist Church, and Christian Reformed Church.
- There are no malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 3 grocery stores within the city.
- There is 1 movie theatre in or near the city.
- There are 2 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 2.47% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.29% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 5.00%, which is significantly lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- South Dakota has an average state income tax of 0.00%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $67,504, which is higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $54,038, which is higher than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $32,008, which is significantly higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $36,276 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $75,738 per year, which are low compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $15,600 per year, which are low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $52,578 annually, which are very high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 1.10%, which is very low compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is average compared to national averages.
- 0% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Chester receives ideal levels of rainfall each year.
- Chester has very harsh mean temperatures, with very cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has below average air quality.
- Chester has a very sparse population density of 20.4 people per square mile.
- Residents of Chester have a very long daily commute time.
- Chester has an average public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very low public school safety rating.
- This city has a very high graduation rate of 93.55%.