Senior Living in Chesterton, Indiana
Top zip codes in Chesterton, IN: 46304
- Chesterton scores lower than the Indiana average of 74.
- Chesterton scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 2 hospitals within close range of the city (Franciscan St Anthony Health - Michigan City and Porter, Valparaiso Hospital).
- There are 32 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Addison Pointe Health and Rehabilitation Center, The Waters of Duneland, and Independent Loving Care Solutions.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 77.6, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 129 pharmacies within close range of the city.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a low percentage of seniors in the population (25% of residents).
- There are 57 golf courses in or around the city, including Brassie Golf Club, The, Sand Creek Country Club(Creek/Lake Course at Sand Creek Country Club ), and Course at Aberdeen, The.
- There are 13 parks near the city center, including Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, Dunes Learning Center, and Indiana Dunes State Park.
- There are 73 churches in or near the city, including St Patrick Catholic School, Fairhaven Independent Baptist, and St Patrick Catholic Church.
- There are 9 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 66 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 4 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 42 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 2.28% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.99% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.00%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Indiana has an average state income tax of 3.33%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $80,397, which is significantly higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $66,229, which is significantly higher than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $30,468, which is significantly higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $44,310 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $91,250 per year, which are average compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $20,800 per year, which are high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $43,472 annually, which are low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 7.66%, which is average compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Chesterton receives average levels of rainfall each year.
- Chesterton has harsh mean temperatures, with average winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has below average air quality.
- This city has average water quality.
- Chesterton has a sparse population density of 451.2 people per square mile.
- Residents of Chesterton have a long daily commute time.
- The city has a very high public transportation ridership.
- Chesterton has a high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very low public school safety rating.
- This city has a very high graduation rate of 93.66%.