Senior Living in Columbia, Maryland
- Columbia scores higher than the Maryland average of 78.
- Columbia scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 11 hospitals within close range of the city, including Howard County General Hospital, Clifton T Perkins Hosp Center, and Taylor Manor Hospital.
- There are 268 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including San Jose Care Home, Always Caring, and Brighton Gardens of Columbia.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 78.8, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 570 pharmacies within close range of the city.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a low percentage of seniors in the population (24% of residents).
- There are 102 golf courses in or around the city, including Fairway Hills Golf Club, Hobbit\'s Glenn Golf Club, and Timbers At Troy, The.
- There are 9 parks near the city center, including Blandair Park, Robinson Nature Center, and Patapsco Female Institute.
- There are 402 churches in or near the city, including St John Baptist Church, Covenant Baptist Church, and Columbia Baptist Fellowship.
- There are 13 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 283 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 13 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 176 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 3.44% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.93% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.00%, which is significantly lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Maryland has an average state income tax of 4.15%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $110,701, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $93,858, which is significantly higher than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $44,755, which is significantly higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $45,600 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $119,720 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $20,670 per year, which are high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $45,760 annually, which are average compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 6.22%, which is low compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 0% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Columbia receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- Columbia has mild mean temperatures, with comfortable winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has average air quality.
- This city has below average water quality.
- Columbia has a dense population density of 3,118.5 people per square mile.
- Residents of Columbia have a long daily commute time.
- The city has a high public transportation ridership.
- Columbia has a high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a high public school safety rating.
- This city has a very high graduation rate of 94.11%.