Senior Living in Columbia, South Carolina
- Columbia scores higher than the South Carolina average of 72.
- Columbia scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 14 hospitals within close range of the city, including Sisters Of Charity Providence Hospitals, South Carolina State Hospital, and Palmetto Health Baptist.
- There are 90 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including C M Tucker Nursing Care Center - Roddey, PruittHealth - Columbia, and Heartland of Columbia Rehabilitation and Nursing Center.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 77.0, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 453 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a very high property crime rate.
- The area has a high violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a low percentage of seniors in the population (21% of residents).
- There are 27 golf courses in or around the city, including Forest Lake Club, Old Hickory Course at Fort Jackson Golf Club, and River Side Golf Center.
- There are 23 parks near the city center, including Robert Mills House and Gardens, Finlay Park, and Mays Park.
- There are 320 churches in or near the city, including First Church of God, Trinity Baptist Church, and Second Nazareth Baptist Church.
- There are 33 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 176 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 12 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 52 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 1.66% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.74% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.50%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- South Carolina has an average state income tax of 4.61%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $62,279, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $46,064, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $25,622, which is higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $37,800 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $85,775 per year, which are average compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $15,015 per year, which are low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $42,625 annually, which are low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 9.96%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Columbia receives very high levels of rainfall each year.
- Columbia has ideal mean temperatures, with very mild winters and very warm summers.
- This city has below average air quality.
- Columbia has a very dense population density of 8,742.9 people per square mile.
- Residents of Columbia have a short daily commute time.
- The city has a very low public transportation ridership.
- Columbia has a very low public school quality ranking.
- The city has an average public school safety rating.
- This city has a high graduation rate of 89.15%.