Senior Living in Decatur, Alabama
- Decatur scores higher than the Alabama average of 72.
- Decatur scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 4 hospitals within close range of the city, including Parkway Medical Center, Decatur General Hospital, and North Alabama Regional Hosp.
- There are 14 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Decatur Health and Rehab Center, Alterra Healthcare, and Brookdale Cedar Springs.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 75.4, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 97 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a high property crime rate.
- The area has a low violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a low percentage of seniors in the population (26% of residents).
- There are 24 golf courses in or around the city, including Point Mallard Golf Course, Decatur Country Club, and Point Mallard Golf Course.
- There are 10 parks near the city center, including Aquadome Park, Wilson-Morgan Park, and Decatur Parks & Recreation.
- There are 74 churches in or near the city, including Beltline Church of Christ, Austinville First Baptist Chr, and Austinville Church of God.
- There are 10 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 43 grocery stores within the city.
- There is 1 movie theatre in or near the city.
- There are 22 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 0.79% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.37% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 8.25%, which is significantly higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Alabama has an average state income tax of 3.95%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $59,740, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $46,620, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $24,202, which is lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $43,578 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $79,570 per year, which are low compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $11,700 per year, which are very low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $35,464 annually, which are very low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 10.51%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very low compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Decatur receives very high levels of rainfall each year.
- Decatur has mild mean temperatures, with comfortable winters and warm summers.
- This city has average air quality.
- Decatur has an average population density of 829.8 people per square mile.
- Residents of Decatur have a short daily commute time.
- The city has a very low public transportation ridership.
- Decatur has a very low public school quality ranking.
- The city has a low public school safety rating.
- This city has a low graduation rate of 80.79%.