Senior Living in Des Moines, Iowa
- Des Moines scores higher than the Iowa average of 75.
- Des Moines scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 6 hospitals within close range of the city, including Metropolitan Medical Center, Iowa Methodist Medical Center, and Broadlawns Medical Center.
- There are 75 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Scottish Rite Park, Sunnycrest Residential Care, and Wesley Acres.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a very high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 79.7, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 391 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a high property crime rate.
- The area has a high violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very low percentage of seniors in the population (22% of residents).
- There are 35 golf courses in or around the city, including Waveland Municipal Golf Course, Wakonda Club, and Echo Valley Country Club.
- There are 50 parks near the city center, including Chamberlain Park, Terrace Hill, and Western Gateway Park.
- There are 384 churches in or near the city, including Saint Catherine of Siena, Crestwood Baptist Church, and St Theresa\'s Catholic Church.
- There are 54 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 172 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 15 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 95 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 3.41% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.60% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.00%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Iowa has an average state income tax of 4.60%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $58,377, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $47,078, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $24,410, which is lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $43,350 per year, which are average compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $77,380 per year, which are low compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $17,550 per year, which are average compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $57,200 annually, which are very high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 7.80%, which is average compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very low compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Des Moines receives low levels of rainfall each year.
- Des Moines has harsh mean temperatures, with cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has average air quality.
- Des Moines has a dense population density of 2,702.5 people per square mile.
- Residents of Des Moines have a very short daily commute time.
- The city has a low public transportation ridership.
- Des Moines has a high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a low public school safety rating.
- This city has an average graduation rate of 86.26%.