Senior Living in Durham, Connecticut
Top zip codes in Durham, CT: 06422
- Durham scores higher than the Connecticut average of 75.
- Durham scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 7 hospitals within close range of the city, including Middlesex Hospital, Riverview Hospital For Child, and Connecticut Valley Hospital.
- There are 85 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Twin Maples Healthcare, Apple Rehab Middletown, and Connecticut Baptist Homes.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a very high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.8, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 279 pharmacies within close range of the city.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a low percentage of seniors in the population (27% of residents).
- There are 105 golf courses in or around the city, including Indian Springs Golf Club, Jones Course at Lyman Orchards Golf Club, and Miner Hills Family Golf, LLC.
- There are 5 parks near the city center, including Wadsworth falls State Park., Chatfield Hollow State Park, and Cockaponset State Forest.
- There are 136 churches in or near the city, including United Churches of Durham, United Churches of Durham, and Notre Dame Church-Durham.
- There are 4 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 134 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 6 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 104 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 5.02% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.45% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.85%, which is lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Connecticut has an average state income tax of 3.20%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $120,631, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $106,000, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $41,465, which is significantly higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $66,900 per year, which are very high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $160,600 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $21,008 per year, which are high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $49,764 annually, which are high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 5.04%, which is low compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Durham receives very high levels of rainfall each year.
- Durham has harsh mean temperatures, with average winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has below average air quality.
- This city has above average water quality.
- Durham has a sparse population density of 312.3 people per square mile.
- Residents of Durham have a long daily commute time.
- The city has an average public transportation ridership.
- Durham has a very high public school quality ranking.
- The city has an average public school safety rating.
- This city has a very high graduation rate of 96.43%.