Senior Living in Elmira, New York
- Elmira scores lower than the New York average of 71.
- Elmira scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 4 hospitals within close range of the city, including Arnot Ogden Medical Center, St Joseph\'s Hospital, Inc, and Elmira Psychiatric Center.
- There are 13 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Courtyards, St Joseph\'s Hospital Long Term and Skilled Nursing Care , and St. Joseph\'s Hospital TCU at Arnot Health.
- There is an average number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 71 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a high property crime rate.
- The area has an average violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a low percentage of seniors in the population (26% of residents).
- There are 22 golf courses in or around the city, including Elmira Country Club, Mark Twain Golf Course, and Soaring Eagles Golf Course.
- There are 7 parks near the city center, including Wisner Park, Grove Park, and Eldridge Park.
- There are 41 churches in or near the city, including Kuenkler Richard F, First Presbyterian Church, and Bethany Lutheran Church.
- There are 10 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 32 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 4 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 29 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 3.94% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 2.56% of property value, which is lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.50%, which is lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- New York has an average state income tax of 4.81%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $51,210, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $37,038, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $20,866, which is significantly lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $41,475 per year, which are average compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $134,868 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $10,920 per year, which are very low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $44,616 annually, which are average compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 8.76%, which is average compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Elmira receives low levels of rainfall each year.
- Elmira has very harsh mean temperatures, with very cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has very good air quality.
- Elmira has an average population density of 1,470.9 people per square mile.
- Residents of Elmira have a very short daily commute time.
- Elmira has a low public school quality ranking.
- The city has an average public school safety rating.
- This city has an average graduation rate of 85.71%.