Senior Living in Essex, Maryland
Top zip codes in Essex, MD: 21221
- Essex scores lower than the Maryland average of 78.
- Essex scores higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 15 hospitals within close range of the city, including Franklin Square Hospital Center, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, and Va Maryland Health Care System.
- There are 184 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Hopkins Village Elderly, Oakwood Care Center, and Woodlands Assisted Living.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a very high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 78.8, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 568 pharmacies within close range of the city.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a low percentage of seniors in the population (26% of residents).
- There are 66 golf courses in or around the city, including Rocky Point Golf Course, Sparrows Point Country Club -Eighteen Hole, and Clifton Park Golf Course.
- There are 12 parks near the city center, including Hart-Miller Island State Park, North Point State Park, and Marshy Point Nature Center.
- There are 522 churches in or near the city, including Mars Hill Baptist Church, Central Baptist Church, and Boulevard Christian Church.
- There are 17 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 461 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 17 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 181 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 2.98% of total income, which is higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.87% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.00%, which is significantly lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Maryland has an average state income tax of 4.15%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $61,765, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $50,459, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $25,128, which is lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $45,600 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $119,720 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $20,670 per year, which are high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $45,760 annually, which are average compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 9.27%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 2% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Essex receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- Essex has mild mean temperatures, with very mild winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has below average air quality.
- This city has below average water quality.
- Essex has a dense population density of 2,854.8 people per square mile.
- Residents of Essex have a long daily commute time.
- The city has a high public transportation ridership.
- Essex has a high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a high public school safety rating.
- This city has a low graduation rate of 82.05%.