Senior Living in Hempstead, New York
- Hempstead scores significantly lower than the New York average of 71.
- Hempstead scores significantly lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 29 hospitals within close range of the city, including Island Medical Center, Mercy Medical Center, and Winthrop-university Hospital.
- There are 199 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Nassau Extended Care Facility, Mayfair Care Center, and Townhouse Center For Rehabilitation and Nursing.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is an average number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 1878 pharmacies within close range of the city.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very low percentage of seniors in the population (18% of residents).
- There are 172 golf courses in or around the city, including Hempstead Golf & Country Club, Garden City Country Club, and Garden City Golf Club.
- There are 9 parks near the city center, including Eisenhower Park, Norman J. Levy Park & Preserve, and Alley Pond Park.
- There are 675 churches in or near the city, including Calvary Tbrncl United Pent Ch, Faith Baptist Church, and Drc Christian Fellowship.
- There are 6 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 1102 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 48 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 518 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 8.26% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.79% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.50%, which is lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- New York has an average state income tax of 4.81%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $65,634, which is higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $53,571, which is higher than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $20,917, which is significantly lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $39,300 per year, which are average compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $153,300 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $27,300 per year, which are very high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $46,332 annually, which are average compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 11.97%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 2% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Hempstead receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- Hempstead has average mean temperatures, with comfortable winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has very good air quality.
- This city has average water quality.
- Hempstead has a very dense population density of 27,198.2 people per square mile.
- Residents of Hempstead have a long daily commute time.
- The city has a very high public transportation ridership.
- Hempstead has a low public school quality ranking.
- The city has an average public school safety rating.
- This city has a very low graduation rate of 71.63%.