Senior Living in Houston, Texas
- Houston scores lower than the Texas average of 74.
- Houston scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 41 hospitals within close range of the city, including Scci Hospital, Select Specialty Hospital, and Memorial Hermann Hospital System.
- There are 179 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Lovett Place, Brookdale The Heights, and Ultimate Care Homes.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 78.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 1662 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a very high property crime rate.
- The area has a very high violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very low percentage of seniors in the population (18% of residents).
- There are 91 golf courses in or around the city, including Memorial Park Golf Course, River Oaks Country Club, and Montgomery County Golf Center.
- There are 27 parks near the city center, including Spotts Park, Eleanor Tinsley Park, and The Lee and Joe Jamail Skatepark.
- There are 534 churches in or near the city, including Mt Sinai Baptist Church, First Baptist Church Heights, and Ecclesia Church.
- There are 22 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 976 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 30 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 264 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 4.26% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 2.31% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.25%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Texas has an average state income tax of 0.00%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $69,439, which is higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $50,976, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $26,697, which is higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $43,500 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $83,038 per year, which are average compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $11,050 per year, which are very low compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $44,616 annually, which are average compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 8.15%, which is average compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is low compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Houston receives very high levels of rainfall each year.
- Houston has ideal mean temperatures, with very mild winters and very warm summers.
- This city has very poor air quality.
- This city has very poor water quality.
- Houston has a dense population density of 4,369.4 people per square mile.
- Residents of Houston have an average daily commute time.
- The city has an average public transportation ridership.
- Houston has a low public school quality ranking.
- The city has a high public school safety rating.
- This city has a low graduation rate of 74.11%.