Senior Living in Mount Vernon, New York
- Mount Vernon scores lower than the New York average of 71.
- Mount Vernon scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 48 hospitals within close range of the city, including Mount Vernon Hospital, Our Lady Of Mercy Med Center, and Lawrence Hospital Center.
- There are 293 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Westchester Center For Rehabilitation and Nursing, Community Housing Management, and Wartburg Adult Day Care & Home Health Care .
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is an average number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 2751 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a low property crime rate.
- The area has a high violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a low percentage of seniors in the population (25% of residents).
- There are 214 golf courses in or around the city, including Pelham Country Club, Siwanoy Country Club, and Pelham Bay Course at Pelham Split Rock Golf Club.
- There are 29 parks near the city center, including Tibbetts Brook Park, Van Cortlandt Park, and Pelham Bay Park.
- There are 870 churches in or near the city, including Sacred Heart Church, Grace Baptist Church, and Our Lady of Victory Church.
- There are 11 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 1788 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 74 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 694 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 8.10% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.62% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.50%, which is lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- New York has an average state income tax of 4.81%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $66,568, which is higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $51,430, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $27,192, which is higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $39,300 per year, which are average compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $153,300 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $27,300 per year, which are very high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $46,332 annually, which are average compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 12.81%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Mount Vernon receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- Mount Vernon has average mean temperatures, with average winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has average air quality.
- This city has average water quality.
- Mount Vernon has a very dense population density of 15,117.4 people per square mile.
- Residents of Mount Vernon have a long daily commute time.
- The city has a very high public transportation ridership.
- Mount Vernon has a low public school quality ranking.
- The city has an average public school safety rating.
- This city has a low graduation rate of 82.34%.