Senior Living in New Haven, Connecticut
- New Haven scores significantly lower than the Connecticut average of 75.
- New Haven scores significantly lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 10 hospitals within close range of the city, including Hospital Of St Raphael, Yale-new Haven Hospital, and Yale-new Haven Psych Hosp.
- There are 80 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Senior Care Development, llc, Grimes Center, and Goodwin-Levine Adult Day Health Center.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is an average number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.8, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 426 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a high property crime rate.
- The area has a very high violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a very low percentage of seniors in the population (18% of residents).
- There are 103 golf courses in or around the city, including New Haven Country Club, Course at Yale, The, and Alling Memorial Golf Course.
- There are 8 parks near the city center, including Marsh Botanic Gardens, New Haven Green, and East Rock Park.
- There are 214 churches in or near the city, including Union Temple Fwb Church, First Calvary Baptist Church, and St Matthews Unison Free Will.
- There are 3 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 266 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 11 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 163 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 5.66% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.69% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.85%, which is lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Connecticut has an average state income tax of 3.20%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $55,999, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $38,519, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $22,611, which is significantly lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $58,680 per year, which are very high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $155,125 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $20,020 per year, which are high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $50,450 annually, which are high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 13.00%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- New Haven receives very high levels of rainfall each year.
- New Haven has harsh mean temperatures, with average winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has very poor air quality.
- This city has average water quality.
- New Haven has a dense population density of 7,874.7 people per square mile.
- Residents of New Haven have a short daily commute time.
- The city has an average public transportation ridership.
- New Haven has a very high public school quality ranking.
- The city has an average public school safety rating.
- This city has a low graduation rate of 80.30%.