Senior Living in Portland, Connecticut
Top zip codes in Portland, CT: 06480
- Portland scores higher than the Connecticut average of 75.
- Portland scores significantly higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 8 hospitals within close range of the city, including Saint Francis Care Behavioral, Connecticut Valley Hospital, and Riverview Hospital For Child.
- There are 98 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Greystone Retirement Home, Portland Care and Rehab Center, Inc., and Cobalt Lodge Health Care and Reh.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a very high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.8, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 294 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a very low property crime rate.
- The area has a very low violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has an average percentage of seniors in the population (30% of residents).
- There are 100 golf courses in or around the city, including Quarry Ridge Golf Club, Portland Golf Club, and Glastonbury Hills Country Club.
- There are 6 parks near the city center, including Dinosaur State Park and Arboretum, Wadsworth falls State Park., and Salmon River State Forest.
- There are 203 churches in or near the city, including St Mary Church, Zion Lutheran Church Elca, and Trinity Church.
- There are 6 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 208 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 4 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 92 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 5.02% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.45% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.85%, which is lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Connecticut has an average state income tax of 3.20%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $108,102, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $93,438, which is significantly higher than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $41,622, which is significantly higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $66,900 per year, which are very high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $160,600 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $21,008 per year, which are high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $49,764 annually, which are high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 7.39%, which is average compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Portland receives very high levels of rainfall each year.
- Portland has harsh mean temperatures, with average winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has below average air quality.
- This city has above average water quality.
- Portland has a sparse population density of 407.2 people per square mile.
- Residents of Portland have an average daily commute time.
- The city has an average public transportation ridership.
- Portland has a very high public school quality ranking.
- The city has an average public school safety rating.
- This city has a very high graduation rate of 94.34%.