Senior Living in Reading, Pennsylvania
- Reading scores significantly lower than the Pennsylvania average of 75.
- Reading scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 7 hospitals within close range of the city, including Reading Hospital And Med Ctr, Reading Hospital Medical Center, and Surgical Institute Of Reading.
- There are 46 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Manorcare Health Services - West Reading North, Morris-Pace Personal Care Home, and Spruce Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a very high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 78.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 222 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has an average property crime rate.
- The area has a very high violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has a low percentage of seniors in the population (26% of residents).
- There are 87 golf courses in or around the city, including Flying Hills Golf Club, Exeter Golf Club, and Reading Country Club.
- There are 3 parks near the city center, including Nolde Forest State Park, Berks County Park, and Lake-In-Wood Campground.
- There are 168 churches in or near the city, including Islamic Center of Reading, St Constantine & Helen Greek, and Calvary Baptist Church.
- There are 8 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 168 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 4 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 95 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 4.66% of total income, which is significantly higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.77% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.00%, which is higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Pennsylvania has an average state income tax of 3.07%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $61,336, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $49,171, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $24,482, which is lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $48,600 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $139,795 per year, which are very high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $17,649 per year, which are average compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $48,048 annually, which are high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 11.20%, which is average compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Reading receives high levels of rainfall each year.
- Reading has average mean temperatures, with cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has very poor air quality.
- Reading has a dense population density of 4,536.2 people per square mile.
- Residents of Reading have a short daily commute time.
- The city has a low public transportation ridership.
- Reading has an average public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very low public school safety rating.
- This city has an average graduation rate of 79.48%.