Senior Living in Roanoke, Virginia
- Roanoke scores higher than the Virginia average of 78.
- Roanoke scores significantly higher than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a very high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 6 hospitals within close range of the city, including Carilion Medical Center, Carilion Medical Center, and Veterans Affairs Med Center.
- There are 34 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Our Lady of The Valley, Avante at Roanoke, and Raleigh Court Health and Rehabilitation Center.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a very high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 79.0, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 199 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a high property crime rate.
- The area has an average violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has an average percentage of seniors in the population (29% of residents).
- There are 22 golf courses in or around the city, including Countryside Golf Club, Crabapple/Dogwood Course at Roanoke Country Club, and Blue Hills Golf Course.
- There are 17 parks near the city center, including Wasena Park, Eureka Park, and Memorial Bridge Park.
- There are 175 churches in or near the city, including Fellowship Baptist Church, St John\'s Episcopal Church, and Calvary Baptist Church.
- There are 18 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 135 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 6 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 11 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 2.65% of total income, which is lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.98% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 5.90%, which is significantly lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Virginia has an average state income tax of 4.54%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $61,074, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $49,312, which is lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $27,109, which is higher than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $39,882 per year, which are average compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $100,262 per year, which are high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $16,900 per year, which are average compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $43,472 annually, which are low compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 6.16%, which is low compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is average compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Roanoke receives average levels of rainfall each year.
- Roanoke has mild mean temperatures, with comfortable winters and warm summers.
- This city has average air quality.
- Roanoke has a dense population density of 1,921.5 people per square mile.
- Residents of Roanoke have a very short daily commute time.
- The city has a low public transportation ridership.
- Roanoke has a high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very high public school safety rating.
- This city has an average graduation rate of 85.85%.