Senior Living in Shelby, Michigan
Top zip codes in Shelby, MI: 49455
- Shelby scores lower than the Michigan average of 71.
- Shelby scores lower than the national average of 72.
Health & Safety
- There is a low number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There is 1 hospital within close range of the city (Lakeshore Community Hospital).
- There are 4 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Oceana County Medical Care Facility, Beacon Specialized Living Services, Inc., and Bush Creek Manor.
- There is a very low number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a very low number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 78.2, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 8 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a very low property crime rate.
- The area has a low violent crime rate.
Recreation & Leisure
- The city has an average percentage of seniors in the population (29% of residents).
- There are 21 golf courses in or around the city, including Benona Shores Golf Course, Oceana Country Club, and Grand View Golf Course.
- There are 8 parks near the city center, including Hart-Montague Bicycle Trail Park, Silver Hills Camp Resort, and John Gurney Park.
- There are 5 churches in or near the city, including Our Lady of Assumption, St James Lutheran Church, and Montague United Methodist Chr.
- There are no malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 19 grocery stores within the city.
- There are no movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 2 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 3.05% of total income, which is higher than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.16% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 6.00%, which is significantly lower than the national average of 6.97%.
- Michigan has an average state income tax of 3.91%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $48,964, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $42,635, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $19,127, which is significantly lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $27,000 per year, which are very low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $96,725 per year, which are high compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $18,200 per year, which are average compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $44,616 annually, which are average compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 7.93%, which is average compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very low compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
General Quality of Life
- Shelby receives low levels of rainfall each year.
- Shelby has very harsh mean temperatures, with cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has below average air quality.
- Shelby has a very sparse population density of 62.1 people per square mile.
- Residents of Shelby have a short daily commute time.
- Shelby has a low public school quality ranking.
- The city has a low public school safety rating.
- This city has a low graduation rate of 79.82%.