Assisted Living in Chico, California
Located at the northeast edge of the Sacramento Valley, Chico is a thriving California city that manages to maintain the feel of a small town. Seniors looking to immerse themselves in a close-knit community but wanting access to the amenities of a large city will find Chico an ideal place to spend their retirement. With mild winters and warm summers, Chico is also perfect for outdoor lovers who can explore the city’s many green spaces, including 3,670-acre Bidwell Park, one of the largest municipal parks in the United States, featuring golf courses, hiking trails, swimming holes and horseback riding.
There are 21 assisted living communities in Chico. According to Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey 2019, the average cost of assisted living in the city is $4,925 per month. This is higher than the national average and slightly above the California state median of $4,500. However, it's less than the rates paid in many other parts of the state and with a lower cost of living than the California average, Chico is a great option for seniors who want to make their retirement income stretch further.
The SeniorScore™ for Chico, California
Chico has a SeniorScore of 69, which is slightly lower than the U.S. average of 72. The SeniorScore indicates how friendly a city is for seniors across four categories: Recreation and Leisure, Health and Safety, Finances and General Quality of Life.
For General Quality of Life, Chico scores very highly thanks to its climate and ideal levels of annual rainfall. Good transportation links throughout the city and connections with neighboring communities mean residents have very short commute times.
Chico’s lowest score was for Finances, partly due to its lower-than-average household income and higher income and sales taxes. However, property tax in the city is significantly lower than the national mean. Also affecting the Finance score is Chico’s cost of living, which is slightly higher than the U.S. average, but seniors will find Chico a budget-friendly option when compared to other areas of California.
The city received a score of only 64 for Health and Safety because it only has two major hospitals. However, seniors can be assured their medical needs will be met as there is a high number of Medicare-registered physicians and more than 130 pharmacies within the city limits.
Recreation and Leisure is another area where Chico was awarded a low score, mainly due to only 22% of residents being aged 55 and over. However, Chico still offers plenty for seniors to do and enjoy, with nine golf courses, 11 parks, 10 shopping malls and a historic downtown area.
SeniorScore™ for Chico, California
The SeniorScore™ is calculated based on over 100 variables, some of which are shown below. The final score is curved based on a linear curving method. For More info visit senioradvice.com/seniorscore.
- Chico scores lower than the California average of 71.
- Chico scores lower than the national average of 72.
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 2 hospitals within close range of the city (Enloe Medical Center and Feather River Hospital).
- There are 40 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Sycamore Glen Active Senior Community, The Oakmont, and Prestige Assisted Living at Chico.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is a high number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.8, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 133 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a high property crime rate.
- The area has an average violent crime rate.
- The city has a very low percentage of seniors in the population (22% of residents).
- There are 9 golf courses in or around the city, including Butte Creek Country Club, Canyon Oaks Country Club, and Sunset Hills Golf Course.
- There are 11 parks near the city center, including Almond Grove Mobile Home Park, A Better View Landscape, and Paramount Trailer Park.
- There are 33 churches in or near the city, including Seventh Day Adventist Church, Community Church of God, and Church On the Esplanade.
- There are 10 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 52 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 4 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 41 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 2.73% of total income, which is lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.58% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 8.75%, which is significantly higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- California has an average state income tax of 3.79%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $60,601, which is lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $44,286, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $24,899, which is lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $43,500 per year, which are high compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $88,148 per year, which are average compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $37,700 per year, which are very high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $46,904 annually, which are average compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 11.82%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is very high compared to national averages.
- 0% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
- Chico receives ideal levels of rainfall each year.
- Chico has mild mean temperatures, with comfortable winters and very warm summers.
- This city has very poor air quality.
- Chico has a dense population density of 1,764.1 people per square mile.
- Residents of Chico have a very short daily commute time.
- The city has an average public transportation ridership.
- Chico has a very low public school quality ranking.
- The city has a very low public school safety rating.
- This city has a high graduation rate of 90.45%.
Assisted Living Costs in Chico, California
At an average of $5,106 per month according to the Genworth's 2021 Cost of Care Survey, assisted living costs in Chico are slightly less than the statewide average of $5,250 and more than $600 higher than the national monthly average of $4,500. San Francisco Bay Area and central coast Salinas assisted living costs about $900 to $1,200 more per month than Chico. While more affordable rates are found a little south in the community of Stockton, at $3,649, and much further south in Riverside, at $4,000 per month. Residents north of Chico pay $656 less on average in Redding.
- Chico: $5,106
- California: $5,250
- United States: $4,500
- San Francisco: $6,319
- Salinas: $6,000
- Riverside: $4,000
- Redding: $4,450
- San Diego: $5,475
Senior Care Cost Comparison in Chico, California
Assisted living is more affordable than most senior care options in Chico. Adult day health care, which provides services during business hours on weekdays, costs an average of $2,430 less per month than assisted living. Those choosing to age in place can hire home care and home health care services at an average of $5,720 per month. Compared to those in assisted living facilities, nursing home residents pay in excess of $4,000 more per month.
- In-Home Care: $5,720
- Home Health Care: $5,720
- Adult Day Health Care: $2,676
- Assisted Living: $5,106
- Nursing Home Care (semiprivate room): $9,201
Top Assisted Living Facilities in Chico, California
Almond Blossom Assisted Living is a senior community located at 1036 Blackmuir Ct in Chico, California. With approximately 39,000 poeple living in the 95926 zip code, the surrounding area is heavily populated. It is a generally middle class ...
Located at 10 Ilahee Ln, Townsend House is a senior care community in Chico, California. The facility is in a largely middle class area, with a median per-household income of $55,383. It is densely populated, with roughly 33,000 ...
Windchime of Chico is a senior community located at 855 Bruce Rd in Chico, California. With roughly 38,000 poeple living in the 95928 zip code, the surrounding area is heavily populated. It is a mostly middle income area, ...
The Terraces Senior Living is a senior housing facility located at 2750 Sierra Sunrise Ter in Chico, California. With roughly 38,000 people residing in the zip code of 95928, the encompassing area is heavily populated. It is a ...
The Oakmont is a senior care community located at 2801 Cohasset in Chico, California. The encompassing area is heavily populated, with approximately 33,000 residents in the 95973 zip code. With an average per-family income of $55,383, it is ...
Prestige Assisted Living at Chico is a senior care community located at 1351 East Lassen Ave in Chico, California. The community is in a predominantly middle income area, with an average per-family income of $55,383. With roughly 33,000 ...
Located at 2770 Sierra Ladera Ln, Roseleaf Gardens Senior Living and Memory Care is a senior housing community serving Chico, California. The encompassing area is densely populated, with around 38,000 people residing in the 95928 zip code. It ...
The Courtyard At Little Chico Creek is a senior care community located at 1770 Humboldt Rd in Chico, California. The community is in a mostly middle class area, with a median family income of $44,704. With about 38,000 ...
Roses and Ivy Elder Care is a senior community located at 853 Manzanita Ct in Chico, California. The neighboring area is heavily populated, with around 39,000 poeple living in the zip code of 95926. With an average family ...
Golden Sierra Carehome is a senior care community located at 2289 Bar Triangle St in Chico, California. The neighboring area is densely populated, with roughly 38,000 residents in the zip code of 95928. With a median per-household income ...
Giselle's Care Home is a family care home located at 2140 Ceres Ave in Chico, California. The facility is in a primarily middle class area, with an average per-family income of $43,459. It has a dense population, with ...
Located at 2180 Humboldt Rd, Roseleaf Senior Care is a senior care community in Chico, California. With around 38,000 residents in the 95928 zip code, the encompassing area has a dense population. It is a primarily middle income ...
Amber Grove Place is located at 3049 Esplanade in Chico, California. It is a 66 bed senior care facility. The surrounding area has a dense population, with roughly 33,000 residents in the 95973 zip code. It is ...
Roseleaf Senior Care is a senior community located at 4810 Songbird in Chico, California. The facility is in a predominantly middle class area, with a median per-household income of $55,383. With approximately 33,000 individuals living in the 95973 ...
Located at 2750 Sierra Sunrise Terrace, The Inn At The Terraces is a senior care community in Chico, California. With a median per-household income of $44,704, the facility is in a generally middle income area. It has a ...
Located at 278 Panama Ave, Panama House Assisted Living is a care home in Chico, California. The surrounding area is heavily populated, with about 33,000 individuals living in the 95973 zip code. It is a largely middle class ...
Monterey House Assisted Living is a family care home located at 2614 Monterey St in Chico, California. With a median household income of $55,383, the facility is in a primarily middle income area. It is densely populated, with ...
Located at 962 Kovak Ct, Country Commons is a senior housing community serving Chico, California. The facility is in a primarily middle class area, with an average household income of $55,383. With about 33,000 poeple living in the ...
Mountain Meadow Lodge is a 15 room senior care community situated in Paradise, California. With roughly 29,000 individuals residing in the zip code of 95969, the encompassing area has a dense population. It is a predominantly middle class ...
10 miles away from Chico, CA
College Hill Guest Home is located at 790 College Hill Rd in Paradise, California. It is a 20 room senior community. The surrounding area has a dense population, with about 29,000 residents in the 95969 zip code. ...
11 miles away from Chico, CA
Golden Oaks Care Home is a 6 room residential care facility. It is located at 983 Wagstaff Rd in Paradise, California. The facility is in a generally middle income area, with a median per-family income of $41,972. ...
11 miles away from Chico, CA
Free Assisted Living Resources in Chico, California
Passages is the designated Area Agency on Aging serving Chico, which connects older adults and caregivers with critical services and resources in the local community. It also offers counseling and support services and provides information on a range of issues, including care management, Medicare, low-income programs and volunteer opportunities. Passages also administers the Long-Term Care Ombudsman program, which helps to protect the rights of residents in assisted living and other senior care facilities.
25 Main Street, Suite 202, Chico, CA 95928
B-Line Paratransit is a shared-ride transportation service designed to meet the needs of seniors in Chico who are unable to use fixed-route public transportation. Older adults with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) certification can apply for the ADA paratransit service, and those who qualify are given priority status. Seniors over the age of 70 can access the Dial-A-Ride service. The service is subsidized by the government, and seniors pay a small fee per ride.
326 Huss Lane, Suite 125, Chico, CA 95928
Chico Area Recreation & Park District (CARD) — Lakeside Pavilion
Lakeside Pavilion is a 6,000 square foot facility used to host a wide variety of district recreational programming, including serving as the hub for CARD's senior programs. Seniors have the opportunity to meet new people and socialize while taking part in a range of activities, including exercise and dance classes, bingo, social games, classic movie showings, luncheons and afternoon tea. CARD at Lakeside Pavilion also provides Medicare workshops and free legal assistance.
2565 California Park Drive, Chico, CA 95928
Legal Services of Northern California
Legal Services of Northern California (LSNC) provides legal advice and representation to low-income seniors living in Chico and Butte County. The firm helps those facing problems involving consumer issues, powers of attorney, basic estate planning, advance health care directives and elder abuse. LSNC also runs a Senior Legal Hotline from its Sacramento office. This program, funded by the Administration on Aging and other agencies, aims to protect the dignity, independence and safety of adults over the age of 60.
541 Normal Avenue, Chico, CA 95928
Butte County Veterans Service Office
Chico seniors who've served in the U.S. military can contact the Butte County Veterans Service Office for free counseling about federal, state and local benefit programs. For those who receive a VA pension and require assistance with daily activities or have impaired eyesight, the office can offer advice on eligibility and assistance applying for Aid and Attendance benefits that may help pay for assisted living.
765 East Avenue, Suite 200, Chico, CA 95926
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is assisted living in the state of California?
The average cost of assisted living in California is around $125 per day (ranging from $33 to $300), $3,750 per month (ranging from $987 to $9,000), and $45,000 per year (ranging from $11,844 to $108,000).
What is the cost of assisted living in Chico?
With costs ranging between $2,250 and $4,925 per month and averaging around $3,625, assisted living in Chico, California runs approximately $43,500 yearly.
What does assisted living include?
Most assisted living facilities have both private and shared rooms. They commonly offer a variety of services such as incontinence care, medication monitoring, religious programs, 24-hour supervision, and transportation services.
Which assisted living facilities in Chico accept Medicaid?
The only Medicaid provider in Chico is Cypress Healthcare Center.
What are the demographics of Chico?
Though the encompassing statistical area has 195,579 people, there are 106,193 living in the city. The senior community currently makes up about 22% of the overall population.