Assisted Living in Independence, Missouri
As the home of former president Harry Truman and the location of the Truman Library & Museum, the town of Independence is rich in history. This suburb of Kansas City is also home to the National Frontier Trails Museum, with its artifacts of the wagon train era. Seniors who love history will find plenty to explore in this city, and its location along I-70 makes getting around the metro area fast and convenient. An active parks and recreation department and many community parks mean that seniors always have something fun to do when they call Independence home.
Independence has approximately 20 assisted living facilities nearby, with 12 inside the city specifically. The cost for assisted living care in Independence and the rest of the Kansas City metro area averages to $4,460 per month, according to the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey. This is $160 more than the $4,300 national average.
The SeniorScore for Independence, Missouri
A city’s SeniorScore indicates how friendly it is for seniors based on 100 data points collected from both government and private databases. These are divided into four categories, including Health & Safety, Finances, Recreation & Leisure, and General Quality of Life. Independence has a high SeniorScore of 75, which is higher than the national and Missouri state averages which are both 72.
Independence scores highest in Recreation & Leisure with a score of 74. With 75 golf courses and 32 parks near the city, this score is not surprising. Independence also has 34 shopping malls and shopping centers, 23 movie theaters and nearly 200 grocery stores, which all add to this score. The second-highest category was Health & Safety with a score of 68. The area’s large number of hospitals, including 17 within a short drive of Independence, and the city's average violent crime rate contributed to this score. The University of Kansas Hospital, which ranks 29th nationally for senior care by U.S. News and World Report, is not far from Independence.
The lowest-scoring category for Independence was Finances with a score of 57. High sales tax and high income taxes, combined with a lower average household income, contributed to this lower score. General Quality of Life scored 66. Low use of public transportation and very poor air quality pulled this score down a bit, while comfortable weather with comfortable temperatures in summer and average temperatures in winter, helped increase it.
SeniorScore™ for Independence, Missouri
The SeniorScore™ is calculated based on over 100 variables, some of which are shown below. The final score is curved based on a linear curving method. For More info visit senioradvice.com/seniorscore.
- Independence scores higher than the Missouri average of 72.
- Independence scores higher than the national average of 72.
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 17 hospitals within close range of the city, including Independence Reg Health Ctr, Medical Center Of Independence, and Centerpoint Medical Center Of Independence, Llc.
- There are 104 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Carmel Hills Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, Blue Hills Rest Home, and Turning Point Group Home.
- There is a very high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is an average number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 77.5, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 427 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a very high property crime rate.
- The area has an average violent crime rate.
- The city has an average percentage of seniors in the population (28% of residents).
- There are 75 golf courses in or around the city, including Crackerneck Golf Course, Drumm Farm Golf Course -Championship, and Rockwood Golf Club.
- There are 32 parks near the city center, including Adventure Oasis Water Park, George Owens Nature Park, and Santa Fe Park.
- There are 297 churches in or near the city, including First Baptist Church, Calvary Baptist Church, and First Christian Church.
- There are 34 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 196 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 23 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 98 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 2.65% of total income, which is lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 1.27% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 7.79%, which is significantly higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Missouri has an average state income tax of 3.87%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $54,775, which is significantly lower than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $45,838, which is significantly lower than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $23,021, which is lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $40,770 per year, which are average compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $59,860 per year, which are very low compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $20,800 per year, which are high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $46,904 annually, which are average compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 9.56%, which is high compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is average compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
- Independence receives average levels of rainfall each year.
- Independence has average mean temperatures, with average winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has very poor air quality.
- Independence has a dense population density of 1,638.3 people per square mile.
- Residents of Independence have an average daily commute time.
- The city has a low public transportation ridership.
- Independence has an average public school quality ranking.
- The city has a low public school safety rating.
- This city has an average graduation rate of 85.56%.
Assisted Living Costs in Independence, Missouri
As a suburb of Kansas City, Independence shares an average cost for assisted living with the larger city. This average according to the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey is $4,460. Seniors pay more for assisted living in Independence than they do nationally, with the national average being $4,300. Independence’s average is significantly higher than the state’s average of $3,000.
Within Missouri, the Kansas City area, including Independence, is one of the larger metro areas. This means it has the highest average cost in the state for senior care and assisted living in the state with an average of $4,460. Just to the north of Independence in St. Joseph, seniors pay an average of $3,499 for senior care. In Joplin to the south, the average drops to $2,500. In the center of the state in Columbia, the average is just $2,900 a month. Even in St. Louis, one of the other large cities in Missouri, the average is still lower than Independence with $3,750 per month. In Springfield, seniors pay an average of $3,100 a month for assisted living Seniors in the state’s capital of Jefferson City pay an average of $3,150 per month. Finally, Cape Girardeau in the southeast part of the state averages $3,374 for assisted living.
- Independence: $4,460
- Joplin: $2,500
- Columbia: $2,900
- Springfield: $3,100
- Jefferson City: $3,150
- Cape Girardeau: $3,374
- St. Joseph: $3,499
- St. Louis: $3,750
Top Assisted Living Facilities in Independence, Missouri
Carmel Hills Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center is a 194 bed nursing care facility. It is located at 810 East Walnut in Independence, Missouri. With an average per-family income of $35,244, the community is in a generally middle class ...
The Village of Jackson Creek is a 120 unit senior community situated close to the Country Valley - Hawthorn Square neighborhood of Independence, Missouri. With roughly 15,000 individuals residing in the 64057 zip code, the surrounding area has an ...
Golden Living Center-Independence is a 118 bed senior community. It is located at 17451 East Medical Center Pkwy in Independence, Missouri. With an average household income of $65,952, the facility is in a generally middle income area. ...
The Villages Of Jackson Creek Memory Care is a senior housing facility located around the Country Valley - Hawthorn Square neighborhood of Independence, Missouri. The neighboring area has an average population density, with about 15,000 people residing in the ...
Located at 2100 S Swope Dr, The Fountains at Greenbriar is a senior housing community in Independence, Missouri. With around 15,000 individuals living in the zip code of 64057, the encompassing area has an average population density. It ...
Maywood Manor is a 24 unit senior housing community. It is situated near by the West Blue Township area of Independence, Missouri. The encompassing area is densely populated, with around 23,000 individuals residing in the zip code of ...
Wood Oaks is a 30 unit senior care facility situated nearby the West Blue Township area of Independence, Missouri. The facility is in a generally middle income area, with a median per-family income of $37,888. With roughly 22,000 ...
Mother's Refuge is a senior community situated in the Country Valley - Hawthorn Square area of Independence, Missouri. The encompassing area has a dense population, with around 35,000 residents in the zip code of 64055. With an average ...
Blue Hills Rest Home is a senior care community located at Independence, Missouri 64056 in Independence, Missouri. The facility is in a primarily middle income area, with a median per-family income of $47,259. With about 18,000 ...
Golden Living Community - Independence Chateau is a senior community located at 17441 Medical Center Pkwy in Independence, Missouri. With roughly 15,000 people residing in the 64057 zip code, the surrounding area has an average population density. It ...
Blue Hills Rest Home is a senior community located at 2207 North Blue Mills Rd in Independence, Missouri. With an average per-household income of $60,490, the community is in a generally middle class area. It has a sparse ...
Country House is a 12 unit senior community situated in Independence, Missouri. With an average per-household income of $35,244, the facility is in a generally middle class area. It has a dense population, with approximately 23,000 poeple living ...
Located within the Blue Vue Hills neighborhood, The Oaks at Prairie View is a senior housing community in Kansas City, Missouri. With approximately 35,000 individuals living in the 64133 zip code, the neighboring area has a dense population. ...
5 miles away from Independence, MO
St. Mary's Manor is a 132 bed senior community situated in Blue Springs, Missouri. The facility is in a largely middle class area, with an average per-household income of $66,408. It is densely populated, with about 26,000 individuals ...
6 miles away from Independence, MO
Located at 930 NE Duncan Rd in Blue Springs, Missouri, Shangri-La Rehab And Living Center is a 120 bed nursing home facility. The facility is in a primarily middle class area, with a median household income of $66,408. ...
6 miles away from Independence, MO
Hidden Lake Care Center is a 112 bed senior housing community. It is located within the Faireway Hills area of Raytown, Missouri. With around 35,000 poeple living in the zip code of 64133, the encompassing area is densely ...
6 miles away from Independence, MO
Located at 550 NE Napoleon Dr, The Parkway Senior Living is a senior care community serving Blue Springs, Missouri. With a median family income of $66,408, the facility is in a largely middle income area. It is heavily ...
7 miles away from Independence, MO
Hilltop Co-Ed is a senior care community situated around the Little Blue Valley neighborhood of Lees Summit, Missouri. With a median per-household income of $87,075, the community is in a primarily wealthier area. It has a medium-density population, ...
7 miles away from Independence, MO
Wilshire at Lakewood Care Center is located at 600 N E Meadowview Dr in Lees Summit, Missouri. It is a 170 unit senior community. With about 17,000 individuals living in the zip code of 64064, the surrounding area ...
7 miles away from Independence, MO
Located within the Lewis Heights area of the city, Bickford of Raytown is a senior housing community serving Raytown, Missouri. The community is in a primarily middle class area, with an average family income of $50,660. With roughly ...
8 miles away from Independence, MO
Free Assisted Living Resources in Independence, Missouri
Mid-America Regional Council’s Department of Aging and Adult Services
Mid-America Regional Council’s office of Aging and Adult Services serves Independence and the rest of the Kansas City area with programs and services for the 60 and older population. Through community care management, medication reconciliation and health education, MARC’s Department of Aging and Adult Services helps seniors stay healthier. This is also the location of the area’s long-term care ombudsman, a third-party advocate that helps seniors in assisted living protect their quality of life.
600 Broadway, Suite 200, Kansas City, MO 64105
The Palmer Center
The Palmer Center is the senior center in Independence, providing engaging programming for seniors in the area. Adults 60 and older can visit the Palmer Center for nutrition and health education, dances and music performances, social events, and physical or mental exercise. A monthly calendar provides seniors the chance to see all of the activities and events that are scheduled.
218A North Pleasant Street, Independence, MO 64050
Missouri Senior Legal Helpline
Seniors can get free legal help from the state of Missouri through the MARC Department of Aging and Adult Services when they face a legal concern. Through the Legal Helpline, seniors can get information about estate planning and civil legal concerns, including advice on whether or not the senior needs to hire a lawyer for their legal needs.
Jackson County Veteran Services
Seniors who are veterans often have healthcare and other services available to them, and the Jackson County Veteran Services office helps connect seniors to those resources. This program uses the Veterans Affairs Benefits Navigator to help vets find those services and benefits that apply to them.
415 East 12th Street, Kansas City, MO 64106
Missouri CLAIM provides free, unbiased and confidential Medicare counseling for seniors and other qualified individuals. CLAIM counselors help seniors understand the various Medicare programs and which ones they may benefit most from. This is the official State Health Insurance Assistance Program in Missouri and is funded through the Administration for Community Living in the Missouri Department of Commerce and Insurance. Independence seniors can call the 800 number to connect with their local CLAIM counselor.
4215 Philips Farm Road, Suite 101-A, Columbia, MO 65201
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does assisted living cost in the state of Missouri?
The average cost of assisted living in Missouri is roughly $83 per day (ranging from $37 to $226), $2,500 monthly (ranging from $1,095 to $6,780), and $30,000 yearly (ranging from $13,140 to $81,360).
How much is assisted living in Independence?
The cost of assisted living in Independence, Missouri runs between $1,390 and $7,323 per-month, with an average of $3,398 (or approximately $40,770 yearly).
What services are included with assisted living?
Assisted living can be provided in either a shared or private room. Services typically include transportation assitance, medication monitoring, spiritual programs, recreational programs, and incontinence care.
Are there assisted living facilities in Independence that accept Medicaid?
Hidden Lake Care Center, Parkway Health and Rehab, Medicalodges Post Acute Care Center, Wellsville Retirement Community, and Medicalodges Paola are accepting Medicaid for assisted living in Independence.
What are the demographics of Independence?
While the encompassing area is home to 1,168,662 people, there are 123,373 living within the city limits. The senior community comprises about 28% of the overall population.