Assisted Living in Ogden, Utah
Ogden is a beautiful city located just north of Salt Lake City in Utah. It's known for its historic buildings and proximity to picturesque ski resorts. Seniors make up 10.4% of the population according to estimates from the 2019 U.S. Census. The city has a lot to offer seniors thanks to its pleasant summers, easy access to health care and varied amenities. There are 31 golf courses and 21 parks in or close to the city, as well as 13 movie theaters and 16 malls.
There are 18 assisted living facilities in or close to Ogden, and the average monthly fee for assisted living is $3,250, based on figures from the Genworth Financial Cost of Care Survey 2019. This is much lower than the national average of $4,051 per month, making Ogden an appealing choice for those who are looking to ensure that their retirement funds last as long as possible.
The SeniorScore for Ogden, Utah
The SeniorScore is an indication of how appealing a city might be for seniors based on 100 metrics, including some from government databases, relating to health care availability, crime rates, recreation and leisure options, and the cost of living. Ogden has a SeniorScore of 69, putting it slightly lower than the national average of 72. The city scored well for General Quality of Life, with a rating of 72 and achieved a rating of 59 in the Finances category.
The weather in Ogden is generally favorable, with pleasant summers and cold winters but no excessive rainfall. Public transportation is popular in the city, meaning it's easy for seniors who don't drive to get around, attend medical appointments or visit local amenities.
In terms of Finances, Ogden's score of 59 is indicative of the city's taxes and assisted living fees. On the one hand, the cost of assisted living is low compared to the national average, and property taxes are also low. Sales taxes and income taxes, however, are higher than the national average.
The city was rated 58 for Health & Safety. There's a large number of Medicaid-registered health care providers in the city and four hospitals in the local area. The average life expectancy in Ogden is 80.6, which is better than the national average of 78.6
Ogden scored 55 for Recreation & Leisure thanks to its variety of malls, parks, golf courses and movie theaters. Seventy churches in or close to the city offer worship options for followers of a variety of denominations.
SeniorScore™ for Ogden, Utah
The SeniorScore™ is calculated based on over 100 variables, some of which are shown below. The final score is curved based on a linear curving method. For More info visit senioradvice.com/seniorscore.
- Ogden scores higher than the Utah average of 68.
- Ogden scores lower than the national average of 72.
- There is a high number of Medicare registered physicians within the city limits.
- There are 4 hospitals within close range of the city, including Ogden Regional Medical Center, Mckay-dee Hospital Center, and Mckay-dee Hospital Center.
- There are 34 senior living facilities in close proximity to the city, including Gardens Assisted Living, Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation Centers , and Deseret Health and Rehab at Ogden.
- There is a high number of home healthcare providers operating in the city.
- There is an average number of fire stations serving the city.
- The average life expectancy is 80.2, compared to the national average of 78.6.
- There are 210 pharmacies within close range of the city.
- The area has a high property crime rate.
- The area has a high violent crime rate.
- The city has a very low percentage of seniors in the population (20% of residents).
- There are 31 golf courses in or around the city, including El Monte Golf Course, Riverside Course at Schneiters Riverside Golf Course, and Schneiter\'s Riverside Golf Course.
- There are 21 parks near the city center, including Liberty Park, Fort Buenaventura Park, and Ogden Botanical Gardens.
- There are 70 churches in or near the city, including St Joseph\'s Church, New Zion Baptist Church, and Second Baptist Church.
- There are 16 malls / shopping centers within close range of the city.
- There are 88 grocery stores within the city.
- There are 13 movie theatres in or near the city.
- There are 49 gyms or health clubs in or near the city.
- The property taxes average 2.02% of total income, which is significantly lower than the national average of 2.79%.
- The property taxes average 0.77% of property value, which is significantly lower than the national average of 1.09%.
- The city sales taxes averages 8.33%, which is significantly higher than the national average of 6.97%.
- Utah has an average state income tax of 4.72%, compared to the national average of 3.38%.
- The city's mean household income is $66,828, which is higher than the national average of $64,580.
- The city's median household income is $54,375, which is higher than the national median of $51,560.
- The city's per capita income is $23,437, which is lower than the national average of $25,611.
- Assisted living costs average $37,200 per year, which are low compared to national figures.
- Nursing home costs average $91,250 per year, which are average compared to national costs.
- Adult daycare costs average $23,400 per year, which are very high compared to national numbers.
- Home healthcare costs average $48,620 annually, which are high compared to national costs.
- The unemployment rate is about 7.59%, which is average compared to national averages.
- The overall cost of living is high compared to national averages.
- 1% of the senior population are financially responsible for at least one grandchild.
- Ogden receives ideal levels of rainfall each year.
- Ogden has average mean temperatures, with cold winters and pleasant summers.
- This city has very poor air quality.
- Ogden has an average population density of 1,240.3 people per square mile.
- Residents of Ogden have a short daily commute time.
- The city has a high public transportation ridership.
- Ogden has a high public school quality ranking.
- The city has a high public school safety rating.
- This city has an average graduation rate of 88.18%.
Assisted Living Costs in Ogden, Utah
According to the Genworth Financial Cost of Care Survey 2019, the average cost of assisted living in Ogden is $3,250. This is slightly lower than the median monthly cost of assisted living in the state of Utah overall, which is $3,400. It's also lower than the national average of $4,051 per month.
Fees in Ogden are lower than in many other parts of Utah. In the very south of the state, close to the Arizona border, St. George's assisted living fees average $3,400 per month. In Salt Lake City, fees average $3,835 per month. The cost of assisted living is slightly lower in Provo at $3,238 per month. Meanwhile, to the north, in Logan, which is close to the Idaho border, the average monthly fee for assisted living is $3,100. Across the state border in Colorado, average fees increase, with the cost of assisted living in Grand Junction being $4,699 per month. In Twin Falls, Idaho, monthly fees are lower than in Colorado, at an average of $3,625. Because Ogden's fees are on the lower end of the spectrum, even compared to neighboring states, the city is an appealing option for seniors who want to reduce their retirement spending.
- Ogden: $3,250
- Logan: $3,100
- Provo: $3,238
- St. George: $3,400
- Salt Lake City: $3,835
- Twin Falls, ID: $3,625
- Grand Junction, CO: $4,699
Top Assisted Living Facilities in Ogden, Utah
Located at 5540 South 1050 East in Ogden, Utah, ManorCare Health Services-South Ogden is a 140 bed nursing facility. The encompassing area is densely populated, with roughly 32,000 poeple living in the zip code of 84405. With an ...
George E. Wahlen Ogden Veterans Home is located at 1102 North 1200 West in Ogden, Utah. It is a 120 room senior community. With about 57,000 people residing in the 84404 zip code, the surrounding area is densely ...
Mountain Ridge Assisted Living is a senior housing community located at 1885 E Skyline Dr in Ogden, Utah. With a median per-family income of $57,419, the facility is in a primarily middle income area. It is densely populated, ...
Mountain View Health Services is located at 5865 South Wasatch Dr in Ogden, Utah. It is a 155 unit nursing care facility. The community is in a predominantly middle class area, with a median per-family income of $57,419. ...
TREEO RETIREMENT IN SOUTH OGDEN is a senior care facility located at 6086 South Ridgeline Dr in Ogden, Utah. The community is in a largely middle class area, with an average per-family income of $58,551. It is heavily ...
Brookdale North Ogden is a senior housing facility for those 55 and up situated in Ogden, Utah. With roughly 57,000 people residing in the zip code of 84404, the encompassing area has a dense population. It is a ...
The Harrison Regent is a senior care facility located at 4481 Harrison Blvd in Ogden, Utah. The neighboring area is heavily populated, with around 38,000 residents in the 84403 zip code. With a median per-household income of $57,419, ...
Located at 5526 S 500 E, Legacy Retire is a senior care community serving Ogden, Utah. The encompassing area has a dense population, with roughly 32,000 individuals residing in the zip code of 84405. It is a generally ...
Quail Meadow Assisted Living is a senior housing facility located at 786 E 2100 N in Ogden, Utah. With a median household income of $72,918, the facility is in a generally middle income area. It has a dense ...
Located at 1450 9th St, Gardens Assisted Living is a senior housing facility serving Ogden, Utah. The neighboring area is heavily populated, with roughly 57,000 people residing in the 84404 zip code. It is a predominantly middle income ...
Stoney Brooke Assisted Living is a senior housing community located at 4390 South 700 West in Riverdale, Utah. The neighboring area is heavily populated, with about 32,000 residents in the 84405 zip code. It is a primarily middle ...
3 miles away from Ogden, UT
Mt. Ogden Health and Rehabilitation Center is a 108 room nursing facility. It is located at 375 East 5350 South in Washington Terrace, Utah. With approximately 32,000 individuals residing in the zip code of 84405, the surrounding area ...
4 miles away from Ogden, UT
Bee Hive Homes of Roy is a senior housing community located at 4965 S 3500 W in Roy, Utah. The encompassing area is densely populated, with about 38,000 residents in the zip code of 84067. It is a ...
6 miles away from Ogden, UT
Located at 1748 W 1800 N, Country Pines Retirement Community is a senior care community in Clearfield, Utah. With an average per-family income of $59,714, the community is in a generally middle class area. It is densely ...
7 miles away from Ogden, UT
Apple Village Assisted Living is a senior housing facility located at 2600 East Hobbs View Cir in Layton, Utah. The community is in a generally well-to-do area, with an average household income of $77,979. With about 24,000 residents ...
9 miles away from Ogden, UT
Located at 2547 North Valley Junction Dr, Beehive Homes of Eden is a senior community serving Eden, Utah. The neighboring area has a sparse population, with roughly 5,000 residents in the zip code of 84310. With a median ...
9 miles away from Ogden, UT
Bee Hive Homes of Eden is a senior housing community located at 2547 N Valley Junction Dr in Eden, Utah. The community is in a predominantly affluent area, with an average per-household income of $82,798. It is sparsely ...
9 miles away from Ogden, UT
Rocky Mountain Care of Clearfield is a 168 bed senior housing community. It is located at 1481 East 1450 South in Clearfield, Utah. With a median household income of $59,714, the facility is in a mostly middle income ...
9 miles away from Ogden, UT
Free Assisted Living Resources in Ogden, Utah
Weber Human Services
Weber Human Services manages a variety of programs for seniors, including legal services, transportation, caregiver support, volunteer services and a senior companionship program. Ogden residents can contact Weber Human Services for information about the facilities available to seniors in the city.
237 26th Street, Ogden, UT 84401
North View Senior Center
This senior center serves as a gathering space for local seniors, hosting events, classes, exercise sessions and other activities. It also provides congregate nutrition services and runs health and wellness programs for those aged 55 and over. Most activities are offered free of charge or for a nominal fee, which covers the cost of any necessary supplies.
485 E. 2550 N., North Ogden, Ogden, UT 84414
Weber-Morgan Area Agency on Aging
This AAA provides information and services for older adults, including mobility assistance, meal deliveries, congregate nutrition, housing information, benefits advice and supplemental services. It advocates for seniors and offers signposting to third-party services at no charge.
237 26th Street, #320, Ogden, UT 84401
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program
The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program connects those aged 55 and over with volunteer opportunities within the local community. Seniors can use their existing skills or learn new ones, make social connections and volunteer as much or as little time as they like each week. Travel expenses are reimbursed, and volunteer liability insurance is provided.
RSVP Director, 237 26th Street, Ogden, UT 84401
Utah Legal Services
Seniors can receive free legal support and advice from Utah Legal Aid services for civil cases such as benefits disputes, elder abuse, consumer rights and family law. Some case types are means-tested. For others, seniors may qualify regardless of their financial circumstances. Seniors can apply online or call for advice.
298 24th Street, Suite 110, Ogden, UT 84401
Major Brent Taylor Vet Center Outstation
Ogden seniors who have served in the armed forces can visit the Major Brent Taylor Vet Center Outstation for advice and support relating to VA Aid and Attendance benefits, help with medical expenses and other state and federal support. Advisors help seniors navigate the benefits system by offering eligibility assessments and assistance with completing applications.
2357 N. 400 E., North Ogden, UT 84414
Frequently Asked Questions
What does assisted living cost in the state of Utah?
The average cost of assisted living in Utah is roughly $102 per day (ranging from $55 to $208), $3,061 monthly (ranging from $1,650 to $6,250), and $36,732 per year (ranging from $19,800 to $75,000).
How much is assisted living in Ogden?
The cost of assisted living in Ogden, Utah averages between about $2,000 and $4,480 per month. The mean cost is about $3,100 per month, or around $37,200 yearly.
What does assisted living include?
Many assisted living facilities offer care in both private and shared rooms. They typically offer many services including housekeeping help, basic medical care, 24-hour supervision, exercise programs, and grooming care.
Are there any assisted living facilities in Ogden that take Medicaid?
There are several assisted living facilities in Ogden accepting Medicaid, including Mission at Hillside Rehabilitation Center, William E. Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, Rocky Mountain Care - Cottage On Vine, Canyon Rim Care Center, and Arlington Hills Healthcare Center.
What are the demographics of Ogden?
The city has a population of 186,422, with 2,013,019 people in the surrounding area. Approximately 20% of the residents are 55 and over.